Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

debt and student nurse, crippling me

(72 Posts)
NorfolkEnchantsToday Sat 14-May-16 10:41:05

I am in such a mess with money.
I have around 5k debt. On over drafts, pay day loans and gas and electric arrears.
I was on a debt management plan but I can't keep up repayments.
I currently can't afford food for the week.

I'm a single parent to DD aged four
I'm a student nurse.
My childcare is 1k a month due to Monday-fri 7-7 as I can't ask my parents.

My rent is 300 a month
Fuel 40 a week
Childcare 1k a month

My income is:

Bursary 1,277 a month
Tax credits, 60 a week
Maintainence 50 a week
Child benefit 20 a week.

I work too about 8 hours a week. I'm killing myself doing all this.
I never see the money it goes straight out.
I can't speak to step change as I know they are fed up of me and my debt management plan.

I don't know what to do.
It's my fault I'm in this mess,'my ex left me pregnant with nothing and I just want a nice life and best for dd

I've contacted citizens advice but they are taking forever to get back to me.

I just do not know what to do

NorfolkEnchantsToday Sat 14-May-16 12:24:28

Anyone X

titchy Sat 14-May-16 12:26:07

Well in theory you just about have enough coming in to cover all your outgoings.... You've stated a mix of weekly and monthly though, and missed off bills and food. Is this what you're finding difficult?

How much is the debt management plan? Can you ear mark your 8 hours s week to just go on that and nothing else?

Can you write down everything that comes in, and everything that you spend. Even down to 50p for a packet of crisps.

Your university may also be able to help with budgeting and checking you're getting everything you're entitled to.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 14-May-16 12:29:05

Oh that sounds really difficult, OP, I'm sorry. In the here and now, could your parents help with food?

It's honestly not THAT bad, although I appreciate it must feel like it. I would contact the gas and electric companies and ask them for a couple of months grace while you throw available resources at the payday loans as I bet they are crippling. Xx

NorfolkEnchantsToday Sat 14-May-16 12:47:29

Thank you.

I haven't included most of my bills that's the hardest part

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 14-May-16 12:48:14

Do you mean bills as in, electricity, phone and so on x

wiccamum Sat 14-May-16 12:55:27

Even though you are a student nurse, are you a member of the RCN? You can join as a student nurse and HCSW/HCA. They have hardship funds including the Lamplight Support Service. They may be able to help you practically, and give you advice.

It might also be worth talking to student services at uni, or checking to see if you can get help with childcare through your bursary (they used to do means tested childcare support).

Hang in there, I went through something similar, I had my DD when I was a first year student nurse. You are providing yourself with a career and a solid future for you and your DD 💐

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 14-May-16 12:57:23

That's a great suggestion from wicca, and when you are working you can make a donation to help another student! Xx

wiccamum Sat 14-May-16 13:00:47

Exactly Kate, we are losing too many good nurses and nursing students, we need to help each other out. The RCN have helped me out so much when my uni weren't very supportive while I was pregnant- pushing me to leave the course early, inappropriate and unsafe placements etc, and the union really helped a friend of mine who was the victim of homophobic bullying.

Give em a go x

AndNowItsSeven Sat 14-May-16 13:03:23

Op has £90 to cover all bills except childcare rent and fuel. Also for food, clothes and all her dd's needs and too cover her debt.
That is not enough
Are you sure you aren't entitled to any other help op?

NorfolkEnchantsToday Sat 14-May-16 13:05:08

I can't see how I'm entitled to more?
Phone water car tax car insurance gas electric aren't included. Thank you for all the suggestions I'm looking at them

mrsgiraffes Sat 14-May-16 13:07:45

Can your parents help out with childcare?

AndNowItsSeven Sat 14-May-16 13:11:29

Can you not claim any help with childcare from the uni or hardship payments?

AndNowItsSeven Sat 14-May-16 13:12:54

Also just remembered you can claim housing benefit as a student if you are a single parent.

mummathreeboys Sat 14-May-16 13:13:39

Do your uni have a hardship fund? Dd is 4, can you get her in school that will cut your childcare down a bit! Make sure you are getting the correct bursary.

Can you get on the nurse bank as a hcsa? I know you shouldn't have to though!

I'm also a student nurse and it sucks how skint we are for the amount of hours we need to work in order to qualify. Speak to housing and council tax benefit people too x

wiccamum Sat 14-May-16 13:14:09

You can contact the Lamplight Support Service on this number, I don't think you even have to be an RCN member,

0345 7726200


titchy Sat 14-May-16 13:16:36

In theory she has £300 a month for bills and food. £100 for food, £100 fuel and water, £100 phone and car insurance / tax.

Money from the job set aside for debt repayment.

Is your child at school yet? Is childcare likely to go down?

dancemom Sat 14-May-16 13:19:58

Are you claiming Housing Benefit?

treeagate Sat 14-May-16 13:28:03

Citizens advice has a what benefits can you claim on their website.

Does the uni provide your childcare? Could you ask them to lower the cost?

I'm not sure about nursing but could you go part time on your course or have a gap year so you can sort yourself out?

Could you move in with your parents?

Is there a food bank near you that can help you out?

Hope this helps - sending hugs xx

wonderpants Sat 14-May-16 13:28:43

Can you claim some of your childcare costs through student finance? Mine says it will pay up to 85%!

NorfolkEnchantsToday Sat 14-May-16 13:30:33

I claim housing benefit and I can't get student finance for childcare as its a NHS course and my childcare is included in my bursary.
My dd misses out on school this year so I have another year to go.
I do claim housing benefit but I have to pay towards it which it the 260

SteffiMuse Sat 14-May-16 13:31:19

Don't the uni help with childcare though? I thought they paid a percentage?

SteffiMuse Sat 14-May-16 13:32:59

You can get a hardship fund that you don't need to pay back?

Kennington Sat 14-May-16 13:33:33

5k isn't insurmountable so take a deep breath
Contact the college you are studying at and ask for help??
Can you ask for parental help in the short term???
Can you find a local food bank? Or local church?
Come September - in 4 months- you daughter will be at school. Will this impact a little on childcare costs?
When will you graduate? Salary should increase a little then.

Kennington Sat 14-May-16 13:34:20

Sorry I missed your second post: would a pre school help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now