Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I get money back from man who installed our shower?

(2 Posts)
listsandbudgets Thu 12-May-16 12:05:33

We recently moved into a house which had been entirely refitted by a developer. When we moved in, one of the showers didn't work (water wouldn't heat up) so the developer arranged for the person who installed it to come and check it. They came earlier this week and advised there was nothing they could do and we would ahve to call the manufacturers as it was still under guarantee. I pointed out to him that if it turned out to be a fault caused by the installation it would incur an £82 charge and he insisted it wasn't so I called the manufacturers...

They sent someone out this morning who diagnosed the problem within less than 30 seconds, fixed it within less than 5 minutes and then changed me £82 because it was an installation fault. He even showed me where in the instruction book an error had been made.

Now the installer is saying its nothing to do with him and he won't give me any of the money back because I took a risk when I called the manufacturers.

Do I have any case at all or do i just have to suck it up and be glad I can now have a hot shower?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 12-May-16 12:12:43

Contact the developer in writing. Explain. Give them 28 days to pay then take them to small claims.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now