Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Worried about getting a fine from tax credits

(6 Posts)
StrawberryInSpace Tue 10-May-16 23:34:29

Just had renewal form through, the amount that's down on the form as what I pay in childcare fees is £99 per wk but after lengthy calculations I worked out my average weekly payout for childcare is £69... Genuinely thought I had given them a correct up to date figure but I must not have done. It must be that I didn't think to tell them when my ds started getting 15 hrs free.
Now I'm worried that once I tell them I might be fined for not letting them know about a change as its been so long. Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else? Have you ever been fined by them? Or will it just be repaying what I shouldn't have received? I think it will be a v large overpayment sad
I'm so annoyed with myself for not keeping on top of it.

AndTakeYourPenguinWithYou Tue 10-May-16 23:38:42

How could 15 free hours only be worth thirty quid?

donajimena Tue 10-May-16 23:40:13

If you fess up you should be fine. They will recover it and it might be by reducing further awards but whatever you do make sure its YOU that tells them

Hamiltoes Wed 11-May-16 12:17:38

Yeah this happened to me too! I just explained i'd made a mistake and was really sorry. They were absolutely fine, I had quite a large overpayment as I'd stuck my head the sand for so long (totally regret that).. It was about £800 and I just repaid it from my next years award. They said they could have lowered it so it was more manageable but I just wanted it out of the way. Just explain, they will be fine! And easier to deal with HMRC than bloody concentrix

Babyroobs Thu 12-May-16 10:56:50

They don't fine you but you will have to pay back any overpayment. It is usually paid back ( up to a certain %) from your current payments.

Babyroobs Thu 12-May-16 11:02:11

Penguin- Maybe it is because the 15 free hours is term time only, and op may be calculating costs over a year accounting for a lower figure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now