Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

if you could start a business what would it be and why didn't you do it (if you didn't)

(20 Posts)
harajukugirl Sat 07-May-16 07:16:20

Maybe I am tired of the yes sir, yes ma'am routine at work. Maybe I think o can make more money then I do if I go it alone.

I have no ideas. Everything I think about, I talk myself out of them.

If you started a business on your own, what risks did you take? And are you successful? How long did it take you to get there?

If like me, you are playing it safe, why?

SummerRosie321 Sun 08-May-16 01:05:01

Lack of money to start with. Otherwise I'd buy one of the houses in my road which is split into 6 - 8 flats each.

MarthaCliffYouCunt Sun 08-May-16 01:09:14

I was going to start a cleaning business (but with other stuff too) but it would have meant giving up my part time job which i enjoy, and also i injured myself just as i was about to kick off which meant i lost my existing clients and then i just lost confidence in myself and my ability to make a success of it. I'm a lone parent and dependant on paid childcare and i worried that i would be an unreliable person if my childcare wasnt available for any reason. So i just stuck to my part time job for security really.

harajukugirl Sun 08-May-16 11:50:02

Just seems like catch 22.

concertplayer Mon 09-May-16 15:30:42

I had no one to do it with as i did not have all the skills to do it. Just a good idea

Dellarobia Mon 09-May-16 15:33:41

In my case I honestly have no desire to own my own business. I enjoy my job but I like to switch off when I leave work and not be thinking about it 24/7 like most of the people I know who have their own business.

DameDancealot Mon 09-May-16 16:12:05

Started my own online candle business not too long ago, I reckon it will take about 3 - 4 years before its successful. It's growing slowly which is how I like it. I will be able to grow it more when my youngest is at school.

SocialDisaster Mon 09-May-16 16:14:59

I would have enjoyed a coffee/tea shop, apparently they are long hours and little reward.

MrGrumpy01 Mon 09-May-16 19:51:56

I wanted a coffee shop too, but I know it would never be a real earner, not with my vision for it anyway.

Its my 'something to do whilst I live off my lottery winnings' plan I just need to buy a ticket

SocialDisaster Mon 09-May-16 19:56:18

I must get a ticket too.

harajukugirl Tue 10-May-16 10:29:57

Are we lacking motivation? Having only pipe

harajukugirl Tue 10-May-16 10:30:30

Dreams...

Phone fell out of my hand!

ClarkL Tue 10-May-16 16:07:37

I went self employed. Voluntary redundancy was coming up and I knew of one company who would take me on, I earned very little the first year but was able to use the redundancy to live off.
Most people I know how started doing their own business by doing it in evenings and weekends and slowly reducing their hours in their main job.
I honestly think the one thing that stops people is motivation, its so hard to have a job, run a house, be a wife/husband/mother (insert millions of family/duty roles) and have the motivation to then work on the side as well but unless you are lucky enough like me to have a pot of money saved up to fall back on the only solution is blood, sweat and tears ..... and wine.

chanice Tue 10-May-16 16:17:17

I live in London and started a business renting buggies to holiday makers but it was very unsuccessful. People only wanted them for a few days and I couldn't charge much as buying a buggy would be cheaper if I did.
I don't drive so would bus it half way across london to a hotel and then do the same thing a few days later for about £15 profit all together.
Also I wasn't getting much business and spent a lot on advertising and website fees ect. It wasn't worth it.

BrieAndChilli Tue 10-May-16 16:17:59

I have a dream....
A themed party place
Several different decorated rooms that could be adapted for any theme
All the food and party bags etc themed, themed cake provided.
A cafe at the front for all the waiting parents and a small play area for siblings.
Would also do a party in a box service if people wante to have a smaller party at home etc
The idea is easily franchiseable

I just don't have any money or any way of getting any! Rent so can't remortgage r anything like that!

harajukugirl Wed 11-May-16 12:03:30

Brie,

Great idea. But a lot of hard work. You could become a party planner...

gingerbreadmanm Wed 11-May-16 12:14:01

I have two.

One would be a clothes and accessories shop in the town i live. Never have as i font have the money and wouldnt have a clue where to start.

The second one i dont want to give too much away as it's sad but also what i think is a great idea and i may explore it.

Notyetthere Tue 17-May-16 13:55:42

Open a branch of Nandos in my town. Everyone like it in the other towns and can see it being quite popular round here

simplydivine05 Sat 28-May-16 13:10:40

I run a craft business. Took me three years to start earning even remotely close to a full time income. Four and a half years in and I'm finally reaping the rewards for my hard work. I started with a few hundred pounds and built it from scratch. I did it while working part time and eventually handed in my notice last June. Hardest thing I've ever done but I wouldn't change it for the world.

purplebud Sun 29-May-16 19:22:55

I do tutoring and love it. But I wouldn't enjoy it if it were full-time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now