Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can someone explain my tax to me please?

(12 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Tue 03-May-16 15:07:53

Please don't lay into me about how ignorant I am about basic things like tax, this is my first job in 11 years so I'm uneducated about such things.

Anyway, I work very part time, 7.5 hrs a week at £7.35ph to top up the carers allowance I receive for DS1, last month I was away for a lot of my shifts due to DS being in hospital so I was only earned £200 but this month I got taxed £30 out of that which I have never been before, usually I earn more (£350 pm approx) and I have never paid tax on it.
Can anyone tell me why I have this month?
I'm not complaining, I am more than happy to pay tax along with everyone else but I just wondered what was different this month?

penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc Tue 03-May-16 15:11:37

It's a new tax year, if you started working mid way through last year you wouldn't have earned enough to pay tax.

This year they're probably calculating it so that over the year you will go over the tax threshold so they've made you start paying tax.

Titsalinabumsquash Tue 03-May-16 15:13:29

Ok, that makes sense, thanks. My tax code is 76T so I assume they're taking into account the carers allowance as that's a taxable income.

penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc Tue 03-May-16 15:13:58

But if that is your only income, it adds up to £2,866.50 a year so you shouldn't have to pay any tax or NI. Question it!

penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc Tue 03-May-16 15:14:41

X-post, that's probably it then.

LizKeen Tue 03-May-16 15:17:37

You shouldn't be paying any tax at all.

However, I think that perhaps they have mistaken your £200 per month as one weeks wages, and have taxed you as if you earn that every week.

You can wait until next year for a rebate, or you can call hmrc and query the error, and they should refund you.

BaronessEllaSaturday Tue 03-May-16 15:18:27

They will take into account the carers allowance and that will be why you have the T on your tax code but the 76 means you only earn £760 in the year before you pay tax so do you have any other income other than the carers because I would have expected your tax code to be 777T. You need to ring the tax office to get it checked.

Titsalinabumsquash Tue 03-May-16 15:21:34

No, no other income from work at all, DS's DLA get paid into my account but it's his benefit. I get a small amount child support from exp, would that count?

LizKeen Tue 03-May-16 15:22:22

Yes I think there is an error in your tax code, as Baroness says. Definitely call them.

LizKeen Tue 03-May-16 15:23:13

Child support doesn't count, neither does DLA.

Balletgirlmum Tue 03-May-16 15:27:05

The T suffix means that your employer should not automatically raise your code by the standard yearly increase as hmrc need to review it first (presumable assess your caters allowance for this year)

So you are only allowed to earn £760 this tax year as the rest of your allowance is being used on your carer's allowance.

LizKeen Tue 03-May-16 15:37:06

Carers allowance is only £3200 a year approx though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now