Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child maintenance when daughter goes to uni

(7 Posts)
fionaoutdoors Tue 03-May-16 12:12:33

I am keen to find out what others have agreed with ex-partners/the other parent of a child. I have received child maintenance via the CSA from her dad for the past 15 years for my daughter. It's been a big help in terms of every day costs and it will be quite a loss if I lose it all.
However, our daughter starts uni this summer and I imagine that her dad and I will split the costs for her living allowance. In Scotland, uni fees are covered and her student loan will cover her accomm costs.
I am happy to split the costs with her dad. However, there are still about five months of holiday time to cover. She will mostly head home and use my house as a base but she will also spend time with her dad during holidays I expect, although far less so. During this time I am wondering how we will cover her living costs.
How have other split parents sorted this? Will the CSA stop payments the day she leaves school/turns 18? Should we give our daughter a monthly allowance that she uses at uni and then gives a bit back for living costs when she stays with me or her dad in holidays?
The situation is fairly amicable with her dad so I am not keen to upset this but I do want a system that is fair. Advice please.

VimFuego101 Tue 03-May-16 12:14:16

Unless you have it specifically stated in a court order your ex will no longer have to pay you child support. Child support through the CSA ends when a child finishes a levels.

Tiggeryoubastard Tue 03-May-16 12:16:39

She's an adult. She could look for a summer job.

Babyroobs Tue 03-May-16 13:41:35

Most students will get a job over the university holidays and therefore fund themselves.

fionaoutdoors Tue 03-May-16 14:27:22

Thanks. The info is helpful. She will, of course, be getting a summer job. I just wondered if others have struck deals with ex partners to help with the living costs support of kids at uni since my daughter will still be in full time education.

lubeybooby Tue 03-May-16 14:40:34

Uni doesn't count as full time education in the eyes of the CSA, child benefit, tax credits etc so I'm afraid and your ex will be within his rights to not pay anything, or make an arrangement directly with your DD for financial help.

If you're on good terms maybe he would arrange something with you but my ex wouldn't and instead made arrangements with my DD which he then backtracked on when his new partner became ill and he couldn't afford it (my dd has nearly finished her first year at uni)

MiniMover Tue 03-May-16 19:24:01

So how can the government say that 18yr olds are not financially autonomous and therefore parents' income is assessed and they must contribute towards fees but the csa say the opposite? So if the op was in England and earned enough then she alone would be expected to contribute? Not the father?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now