Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can you become a Nu Skin distributor and do nothing?

(10 Posts)
liankian Tue 03-May-16 01:55:36

As you may know, Nu Skin Enterprises is an American multilevel marketing company which develops and sells personal care products and dietary supplements.

My younger sister has just become a Nu Skin distributor after her friend 'pushed' her. I was very worried, but my sister assured me that she only did this to please her friend.

My sister said she only plans to buy the first products sold to her directly by her friend. Afterwards, she plans to do nothing. I asked her to cancel the Nu Skin agreement but she said doing so would risk losing her friendship. So basically she will do nothing and things "will be fine".

Is it true?

1) Can you buy nothing from now on and Nu Skin will not charge you anything?

2) Will you have to fill in the tax form to pay the self-employment tax even though you don't plan to recruit anyone or sell anything?

GollyGoshGreat Tue 03-May-16 02:19:12

I suggest reading the MLM threads on here.

GollyGoshGreat Tue 03-May-16 02:19:42

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/2627583-MLM-Bot-Watch-21-chat-about-Utah-based-tragicomic-cultastic-racketeering-scamalangadingdongs-like-Forever-Living-Ariix-Herbalife-Younique-Juiceplus-etc-etc-etc

Kanga59 Tue 03-May-16 10:45:54

Yes to the tax forms questions. she's self employed as a NuSkin distributor.

Your sister needs to be more assertive.

Vikki0 Wed 04-May-16 10:01:26

Your sister needs better friends in all honestly. If she loses her friend for cancelling she was no friend to begin with.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 04-May-16 13:41:07

Has she signed up to anything with Nu Skin like agreeing to buy a 'starter pack'? If so, is there a cooling off period?

If she doesn't actually sell anything or attempt to sell anything, I wouldn't have thought that the tax office would consider her to be self employed.

user1478397088 Sun 06-Nov-16 02:00:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ThisIsReallyNotMyName Sun 06-Nov-16 02:15:15

I think everyone should avoid these MLMs.

tribpot Sun 06-Nov-16 06:02:24

A zombie thread + advertising. Reported.

LeahHarrington1 Fri 24-Mar-17 14:11:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now