Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

MLM Bot Watch 21 - chat about Utah based tragicomic cultastic racketeering scamalangadingdongs like Forever Living, Ariix, Herbalife, Younique, Juiceplus etc etc etc

(973 Posts)
Twunk Mon 02-May-16 00:38:22

Links etc to follow!

Welcome all to the new thread

Twunk Mon 02-May-16 00:41:48

"MLMs make money by exploiting the salesforce"

Legitimate companies (LCs) use salespeople to sell their products. LCs pay their salespeople basic plus commission on sales. LCs fund training, meetings, and kick-off events. LCs supply sales materials and tools free of charge. LCs incur, therefore, some costs per salesperson. LCs do not make money on salespeople purchasing their products. LCs make sure that each salesperson has a designated area such that salespeople don't saturate the marketplace. And of course, LCs don't allow salespeople to recruit other salespeople without OK from the company!.

Multi-Level-Marketing companies (MLMs) pay no basic to Independent Business Owners (IBOs) who, purportedly, sell their products. MLMs charge IBOs for joining. MLMs then charge IBOs for - and make money from - all training, meetings, kick-off events, sales materials, demo kit and tools. Therefore rather than incur costs per salesperson, MLMs make money off each IBO. MLMs encourage IBOs to purchase their products and MLMs profit off these; MLMs use jargon to blur the distinction between IBO personal purchase and "sales". MLMs are happy that IBOs recruit new IBOs below them (as MLMs make money off each salesperson, whether they sell anything or not); due to this, there are no restrictions on IBO-saturation of an area.

Bottom line at the bottom: "MLMs make money buy exploiting the salesforce (IBOs). And I haven't even mentioned the cult-like mind control hooks that MLMs use! Beware!

Melaw21 Mon 02-May-16 00:43:27

Thanks twunk! 😊😊😘

Twunk Mon 02-May-16 00:44:35

The issues we have with MLMs are:

- people don't make money in them but they are told they will.
- people put a lot of time and effort and their dreams into these schemes only to have it not work.
- when it doesn't work they are led to believe it is their own fault.
- attraction marketing - ie people bring bad things on themselves, even plane crashes and floods. You can have anything you want just by 'being positive'.
- "fake it until you make" it bollocks.
- the illegal health claims made for the wampum being sold.
- vulnerable and desperate people targeted to buy products and join the scheme.
- the personality takeover of new recruits (hence the term 'bots') into the inanely smiling, meme-posting, emulate-my-wonderful-lifestyle bot who will defriend friends and family if they disagree with the MLM.
- the fake smiley 'family' that are other bots that will turn on you and bully you when you leave their MLM.
- the sneery dislike of people with jobs and the assertion that people who have fulfilling careers that are well paid with holidays, sick pay, free training, expenses, spare time, pension are worthless and not as good as a scheme where you will lose money, have no spare time, no pension, no sick pay, no expenses.
- the blind faith that, even when presented with all the above facts and supporting evidence, bots still think MLM is a good idea because they see people who say they are rich through it, clutching massive cheques.
- the whole cult aspect of mind control and some very dubious methods of making people comply in these schemes.
- the ridiculous arguments that are presented by MLM adherents that are just plain wrong e.g. It's not a pyramid scheme because the person below me can make more than me, all companies are pyramid schemes, pyramid schemes are illegal so this one must be ok as it hasn't been shut down, the MLM is in lots of countries therefore it must be ok if those governments have accepted it, if you disagree with MLMs it is because you failed at one yourself, you can't understand MLM unless you have been in one yourself.

Twunk Mon 02-May-16 00:55:36

Tiimeless vie:
timelessvie.wordpress.com
m.facebook.com/timelessvie

Bot watch:
botwatchblog.wordpress.com
m.facebook.com/liestopper/

Eyes' Blog:
mlmtheamericandreammadenightmare.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Nice summation on MLMs:
www.lazymanandmoney.com/is-every-mlm-a-scam/

Dollytwat Mon 02-May-16 01:08:48

Thanks Twunk!

Ok here are my very rough workings out, I might be wrong, but it's late

LTW person. £35 fee. £165 shop
3 people. £105 fee. £495 shop
+3 people. £105 fee. £495 shop

£1,400 spend so far

Standard retail mark up means shop actual costs LTW £67

£67 X 7 = £496
LTW profit = £904

Multiply your team up to 20 and you can see where the money is

cozietoesie Mon 02-May-16 01:13:50

smile

prettyusefulsometimes Mon 02-May-16 01:40:14

Shhhhhh everybody, close the curtains and hide behind the sofa ......

kiwikaterpillar Mon 02-May-16 02:24:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CamelsAndMaus Mon 02-May-16 04:31:29

I've just waded through thread 20 as I've been busy with some other stuff and there was a query (page 17 or so) about how MLMs are advertised elsewhere.

Apparently they cure AIDS and 1st degree burns (the Kangen water actually caused one on me so I'm glad it was just sprayed on my leg and not my fractured spine and associated grazed back).

This is the Middle East BTW but they're targeting the rest of Asia (Philippines, Indonesia, India, Pakistan and "bored" expat housewives).

It is exploding out here like you would not believe.

CamelsAndMaus Mon 02-May-16 04:32:40

And points for who can date order the photos in my first picture.....

cazzyg Mon 02-May-16 05:47:32

The Kangen water stuff is horrible. I've seen a local family trying to raise money for a child with terminal cancer and they've been sold this as a cure. Really sad and explorative. Pseudoscientific woo combined with MLM.......

throwingpebbles Mon 02-May-16 06:42:41

camels shock

CamelsAndMaus Mon 02-May-16 07:06:54

A few more links/pics:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLxILeipAw
simplehealth-healthbeautywellness.blogspot.ae/2014/06/aloe-vera-breast-cancer.html
www.elitemlmleads.com/index
www.bayt.com/en/uae/jobs/multi-level-marketing-1711031/

wizzywig Mon 02-May-16 07:11:42

Surprised they arent using it as a cure for autism camelsandmaus!!

throwingpebbles Mon 02-May-16 07:20:44

Just seen this, it seemed rather apt

#whoneedsevidence

CamelsAndMaus Mon 02-May-16 07:21:09

And a bit of Google Fu just searching on <country> and MLM:

Germany:
www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-MLM-companies-in-Germany

Ireland:
mirolee.empowernetwork.com/blog/mlm-ireland-business-opportunity-the-best-mlm-company-in-ireland

Sweden:
www.dxnmlmdiamond.com/tag/dxn-sweden/

Kenya:
www.facebook.com/NetworkMarketingSocietyOfKenya/

Romania:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl2am1Yyz8A

Hungary:
www.dxnmlmdiamond.com/tag/dxn-hungary/

Ethiopia:
mlmclassi.com/index.php/en/ads/5663fe9096a72/STOCK-and-FOREX/MLM,-Network-Marketing,-Multi-Level-Marketing-in-Ethiopia

Japan:
www.linkedin.com/pulse/5-ways-grow-mlm-business-japan-terry-white

This is not a UK/USA issue. It truly is worldwide.

C.A.M

CamelsAndMaus Mon 02-May-16 07:22:44

wizzy oh but they do..... www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceNf4mi8aaY

CamelsAndMaus Mon 02-May-16 07:24:01

kangenlivingwater.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/autism-helped-by-kangen-water/

CamelsAndMaus Mon 02-May-16 07:29:51

And not just Kangen:

Herbalife:
www.streetdirectory.com/etoday/treating-autism-the-herbalife-way-uplfue.html

Forever Living:
aloeeverhealth.blogspot.ae/2012/08/autism-natural-cures-and-treatment.html

Toobusytowee Mon 02-May-16 08:24:06

People are forgetting where LTW get their stock from. They say they get it direct from the manufacturers and then store it and send direct to the buyer.

botwatchblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/14/lifetree-world/

The investigation above shows that the stock is old stock. You can't buy it in supermarkets anymore. It must have been bought for pennies from distributors that find themselves with old stock. So LTW are making more profit than you might imagine.

This also begs the question of how fresh food and frozen stuff will fit into this model.

The distribution of goods isn't working either. People are not all receiving their packages. They are then not being given their refunds. This is explained as the company being under strain as it is too successful- there are more people joining than anticipated. People are still told to continue recruiting even when they aren't getting their hampers.

It is so clearly all about getting new recruits. And getting their money.

Promises are being made about future reward that are just not sustainable.

lifetree (MNer, tot the company) I appreciate you updating us on your progress but you got ahead of yourself and told us how you have done, and then how well you think you are going to be doing. How have you ACTUALLY done?

In your first post on the last thread you said you have paid £35 to join and £165 on a box of stuff you don't need. The rest of what you were saying was speculation- what you were going to spend, how people will join you, how much your bonus should be. I am only interested in ACTUAL results. Come back to is in three months and tell is about your actual spends and real bonuses.

Melaw21 Mon 02-May-16 08:28:32

Well said Toobusy!

Melaw21 Mon 02-May-16 08:47:24

camel I dont know a great deal about kangen, but it looks very worrying...

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Mon 02-May-16 08:59:55

Guess the MLM! so much of this on my FB feed atm and all the selling groups are advertising old (and used!) younique stock. Grim.

Melaw21 Mon 02-May-16 09:06:24

😩😩😩😩😩😩😩 Twat loving the name btw, that'll give the trolls something else to wine whine about! 😂😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now