Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bad Tennants

(16 Posts)
breward Sat 30-Apr-16 19:43:37

We refurbished and rented our spotless flat out to a couple. We are usually good judges of character but got it wrong big time this time.

They paid the deposit but could only pay half the rent on the day they moved in and paid the rest of the rent 5 days later.

The next month only £200 was paid on time. We were promised the rent a week later. A week later the remaining £450 had not been paid. He said he had changed job and would be paid in a couple of days. He paid a week later (2 weeks late) and said girlfriend had left him.

He paid the rent in full this month, 4 days early.

However, yesterday we receive a letter from our freeholder saying our tenants had left rubbish dumped outside other properties and this had blown all over the place in the wind. They sent us a photo of 5 bags of recycling piled up outside the property- a real mess. The neighbours had also complained of shouting, swearing, screaming and door slamming by our tenants causing a real disturbance.

We are livid.

Spoke to the tenant and said we want to come round to discuss the letter. Agreed a time tomorrow. He has now cancelled this saying he can't make the agreed time. What state our lovely flat will be in is worrying. They keep saying they want to stay, but after this- no way. Girl friend is now apparently back and living at the flat.

We are really worried they won't move out or will totally trash the flat. The tenancy agreement ends at the end of August. How do legally have to serve notice or just tell them that we are not renewing the tenancy at the end of June (giving 2 months notice)?

Any advice welcome.

Rockchick1984 Sun 01-May-16 08:46:43

You may be best to report your post and get it moved to legal matters rather than money.

Choughed Sun 01-May-16 10:11:32

It's tough. Unless they are 2 months behind you can't issue a section 21. You might just have to ride it out until the lease is up. I assume it's a 6 month AST? Have you protected their deposit correctly? You might need it to clear up the mess.

HalsallRedux Sun 01-May-16 10:19:11

No real advice, I'm afraid, other than to grit your teeth for a possible saga, get yourself very well-informed, and prepare to spend time and money.

Dh co-owns his late parents' flat with his sibling, and they let it out. Their nightmare tenant changed the locks, ran a business from the flat (which was prohibited) and stopped paying rent, amongst other things. It got to the court and bailiff stage before he did a flit, but that took a very long time.

Turned out his references were faked, he'd done it all before numerous times and would doubtless do it again.

Sorry sad. But on the bright side, that's been their only bad experience. All their other tenants have been great.

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Sun 01-May-16 10:21:44

Wow
Another clueless accidental landlord. Don't you think that knowing the laws on ending a tenancy is quite important for you?
Yes you must serve notice and correctly. If you don't they are not obligated to leave.
I'm surprised you allowed them to move in without paying 100% of monies owed?

GreenMarkerPen Sun 01-May-16 10:22:53

whatever you do, you need to give proper notice. it's not enough to not renew.
have a look at landlordzone regarding the correct steps you need to take. and yes, get proper legal advice.
hope everything turns out well.

Mrsmorton Sun 01-May-16 10:26:31

And don't post on MN here unless you really do eat kittens alive because you'll be treated as though you do if you're a landlord.

BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Sun 01-May-16 10:26:41

You must serve notice on them! Either now (but expires at end of 6 months) or at 2 months before end of tenancy.

If you do it early, you may find that they don't pay much more rent, so you may be worth encouraging them to improve their behaviour and then stick them with a notice 2 months prior.

Did you not arrange any kind of periodic inspection?

Yes, get some good legal advice.

BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Sun 01-May-16 10:28:33

You need to look into the steps needed should they refuse to leave at the end of the tenancy.

Did you do full references?

breward Sun 01-May-16 12:54:18

Thank you for your advice.

We are seeing the tenants tonight at the property.

References were taken and I even spoke to each referee over the phone in addition.

Tenants are keen to extend the tenancy so we will encourage improved behaviour and serve notice 2 months before the 6 months is up.

We are no experts, you are correct VinceNoir, we just have a flat that we let out. I am grateful for advice especially as all previous tenants have been fantastic. We have always tried to good landlords too and made sure the flat is kept well maintained and jobs are done quickly.

cansu Sun 01-May-16 12:57:33

You may be over reacting a tad. All you really have is one late payment, some moaning neighbours about split bin bags and a row. Maybe you aren't cut out to be landlords.

Mrsmorton Sun 01-May-16 13:04:10

^ see?

I think envy motivates a lot of posts like that on here. Ho hum.

breward Sun 01-May-16 21:26:24

Bad Tenant update:

We went to see the tenants tonight. The flat is spotless and looking lovely... phew.

The tenant has dealt with the rubbish and put it in the correct place. He said most of it was not theirs.

Girlfriend is 12 weeks pregnant. The one bed first floor flat is not big enough for a baby, cot, pram etc. and not really suitable. It is quite a way from girl friend's family and their relationship is still is a bit shaky. Hopefully the warning letter about shouting, screaming, door banging and the pregnancy will calm things down.

They may well decide to get a bigger place after 6 months.... The good news is the flat is still looking good and they are looking after the place. After paying the rent late for the first 2 months, May's rent was paid in full and on time.

specialsubject Mon 02-May-16 18:35:19

You've had your warning, I'm afraid. Do not renew this tenancy and issue section 21 for when it ends.. I hope you have all the right insurances.

Pregnancy irrelevant. No decent tenants behave as they have.

I see the bleating landlord haters are out in force as is usual when there's a day off school. Head for landlordzone for sensible advice. You won't get sugar coated treatment but they don't hold the common mn opinion that somewhere to live should be free. It is indeed jealousy.

RedHelenB Fri 06-May-16 19:49:59

Cant see why they are seen as such bad tenants - they're up to date with the rent and the flat is looking lovely. Better the devil you know sometimes!

breward Sat 07-May-16 16:23:32

New letter from the freeholder with more complaints about the recycling.

The recycling is not being collected and piling up due to the fact our tenants have put glass in the recycling bags. I am going to personally remove the recycling, sort it (nice... 8 weeks worth of waste) and dispose of it appropriately. I will speak to the tenants again.

Hopefully with all of the recycling being removed they can start again from scratch.

I hear what you say RedHelen. Condition of the flat and rent being paid are our priorities but I would like them to social rather than anti- social in the neighbourhood too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now