Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.


(6 Posts)
SENMumoftwo Sun 24-Apr-16 11:27:16

I'm 40 and have no pension plan in place.
Please done flame me. It's not due to not bothering, but I have been in financial difficulty for many years and am only only carers allowance (£62.10).

How do I know what are right/wrong pensions, even if I can pay towards it?!

Readabook1 Wed 04-May-16 00:33:07

The State Pension This is based on the number of years you have paid OR BEEN CREDITED with National Insurance contributions If you have worked it is likely your employer would have deducted Ni from your salary/wages. If you have ever been self-employed you pay NI at a different rate but it still makes you eligible.
I gather you are/have been caring for someone . If so I believe you will be credited with contributions in recognition of the working life you had to give up in order to care for a relative. I am not sure but if you were claiming Jobseekers allowance at any time you mght also get Credits
I strongly advice you to phone or write to (you can do it online)the Department of Work and Pensions quoting your date of birth and National
Insurance Number -the one with 2 letters 6 numbers and then letter. You can
check your contributions record and discuss any inconsistencies. You will not reach State pension age until age 67 at the very earliest but they can give you a projection of what you might get.
Are you planning to go to work? If so your employer will now need to help you with
other pension contributions in addition to deducting Ni for your State Pension.
The best employer Pension Scheme is called a Final Salary scheme and they are usually with large employers such as the NHS the Council These schemes are not common these days
Once you stop caring for your relative you could try to get work in the care field
The larger ones now offer pension schemes which are not too bad
PM with any other details if you wish

SENMumoftwo Fri 06-May-16 11:26:26

I didn't know I would be able to contact the DWP and ask for such things - I will certainly add that to my to-do list.

Yes, I absolutely plan to work again. However, have never considered the care field. I think as i'm in the position I am, the care field would be a good alternative.

Thank you for your offer (and reply). I will take you up on that, especially once I have more information.

MadameMaxGoesler Sat 07-May-16 11:41:46

You can check your National Insurance record here:

Readabook1 Sat 07-May-16 16:56:24

Oh I forgot.Are you sure you are claiming everything you can? Your relative can claim Attendance Allowance (if over 65 -it is called Personal Independence something if under 65) This is not for shopping, cooking etc but for help when your health, illness, disability means you cannot carry out daily activities which keep you safe such as washing, going to the loo, getting dressed, taking medicines (you forget or get confused) getting upstairs, walking, blindness/deafness.
Your relative does not have to disclose their income to claim it.
Sorry to be morbid but it is available for 6 months when caring for someone with
an end of life illness etc

SENMumoftwo Wed 11-May-16 14:01:34

Thank you for that link Madame. I will have a look shortly.

Thanks for returning Readabook. Yes, I have been to the CAB and they have helped with those kinds of things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now