Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child benefit 'charge'- which year's salary?!

(2 Posts)
YesterdayOnceMore Sun 24-Apr-16 11:04:25

My DH earns just over £50k, so part of my child benefit is reclaimed via tax (the child benefit charge).

I was under the impression that the CB charge related to the salary for the year in which you got the child benefit and was claimed back the following year following the tax return. For example, if you earnt over £50k in 2014/15, you would fill in a tax return before 31 Jan 2016 declaring this. You would then have the option to pay back the percentage of child benefit for the 2014/15 tax year or to have your tax code changed to reclaim it.

I ask because my DH has just filled in his 2015/16 tax return giving his 2015/16 salary. The tax office have written back changing his tax code to reclaim the child benefit for 2014/15 AND reclaiming the full child benefit amount for 2016/17- when they were called, they said that they had assumed (weirdly and wrongly) that he would earn over £60k this tax year.

Aren't they completely wrong though? Isn't child benefit reclaimed for the tax year past and not reclaimed in advance for the current one? I can't find any definitive answer online.

noeuf Sun 24-Apr-16 11:13:46

Well we are in the 2016/17 tax year so a code for 2016/16 reclaiming the CB charge is the same as claiming for benefits in kind. It's preferable to a large underpayment at the end of the year. Your issue seems to be the amount though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now