Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Joint bank account with bad credit

(5 Posts)
Stylingwax Fri 15-Apr-16 16:54:04

My DP has a bad credit history from before we met (5 years). He has a 'basic' Barclays Bank account and no credit card.
He has always given me most of his salary each month for mortgage/bills (he's not on house deeds) and I manage everything and hold our savings and pay for day to day stuff and he keeps a bit of cash.
We want to change the way we manage our finances so he feels like a grownup, keep separate accounts for spends but put a set amount each month into a joint account for day to day expenditure (food, petrol, kids stuff). So we need two debit cards but don't need any kind of overdraft, or want to set up DDs or SOs, it's literally just a place to put money in and draw out.
I have a current account with Santander I use only for savings, so tried to get him added to this but he was declined after credit check. I've looked up joint account with no credit check and thought Virgin offered one but having spoken to a branch they say they don't. Post Office offer a card account only but it has to have a benefit paid in (we don't have any).
Otherwise I'm looking at having a wadge of cash in the house each month we use, and I'd really rather not.
Does anyone know if there is any kind of account we could get, even if we have to pay for it?

Stylingwax Fri 15-Apr-16 19:36:04

Hopeful bump

LittleGoose000 Sat 16-Apr-16 04:09:30

Nationwide do a basic joint accountsmile

noisytoys Sat 16-Apr-16 05:45:15

If someone has failed the credit check for a current account I wouldn't be opening a bank account with them. His bad credit will become your bad credit.

19lottie82 Mon 18-Apr-16 21:53:32

Any joint accounts will link you financially, so prob not a good idea.

He wants to change your arrangement so he "feels like a grown up"? Sorry to be harsh but his credit history shows he can't act like a grown up when it comes to money! Hence why banks will only give him a basic account.

Seriously, don't do it!

Tell him to work on clearing up his record himself, until all the negatives drop off, THEN you can get. Joint account!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now