Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I have a mortgage and credit history question/STBHX possibly sabotaging

(9 Posts)
FrazzleRock Fri 15-Apr-16 14:53:16

I think this is the right place to put this.

My DP and I are in the process of buying a house together. He sold his flat a couple of weeks ago and has temporarily moved into my flat with me and my DC until we move into the house we're purchasing, due to complete in about three weeks. Fingers crossed!
We both have clear credit reports with very high scores and have had our mortgage offer a few weeks ago.

Our concern is my STBXH. He half owns my flat, therefore still has some letters sent to the address and I hand them over to him when he picks the DC up. I don't mind the odd bit of junk mail or general letter, but all he seems to get these days are default letters from the court and parking fines. This is almost a daily occurance. I've told him to sort it out as we're panicking our mortgage could be taken away from us at any point if they check this sort of thing.

Is that true? Could they do that?

My DP is especially stressing out as, if this effects my credit rating, it won't be cleared for 6 years. This, essentially, means we'll all have to live in the tiny flat I'm in now which is too small for an 11 year old, a 7 year old, and two adults (and a cat). It's impossible now.
He's really stressing about it, and I don't know what else I can do except try and convince STBXH to stop the letters. Can I send the letters back with 'return to sender, not at this address'? Or is that wrong considering he legally still is at the address, despite not living there for 6+ years?

Thanks for any wise words!

Cabrinha Fri 15-Apr-16 15:17:40

Don't just send them back. Ring the court and tell then they've been given a false address.
Why have you allowed him to continue to use your address?

titchy Fri 15-Apr-16 15:18:42

You should have already write to the credit reference agencies and have yourself disassociated from him.

FrazzleRock Fri 15-Apr-16 15:36:33

I think I've already done the disassociation thing. Will check though

I continued to allow him to use my address as he half owns the property. Doesn't he have a legal right to have mail sent to his flat? If not, then I will definitely ring the court and tell them. I'll also ring the DVLA to tell them to remove my address to stop the parking fines. He actually had his new driving licence in my address. But I assumed I didn't have a right to contest this seeing as it's his flat too.
I'm clueless about it.

thatstoast Fri 15-Apr-16 15:48:43

Do you have a joint mortgage on your current flat? If so, you'll still be associated with him financially.

If they've already approved the mortgage and you're due to complete soon I doubt it would be a problem though.

FrazzleRock Fri 15-Apr-16 16:05:32

Yes I do have a mortgage with him. I have filled out the form just now for Experian, but I had to write a statement as to why I want to be disassociated from him as we still have a mortgage - though I won't do in three weeks time hopefully!

Also, yes mortgage for new place has already been approved, but DP is completely freaking out so I need to do something to help, if I can.

thatstoast Fri 15-Apr-16 16:40:17

I don't think there's any point in trying to disassociate whilst you still have the joint mortgage. I would wait and then clean things up after the mortgage is paid off.

I think the main thing, if you do encounter problems is to make sure the new mortgage company is aware that you are separating and your only joint liability is the mortgage you will pay off. That said, if your mortgage has already been to underwriters, they probably already have a good understanding of what's happening even if you haven't directly told them.

19lottie82 Sun 17-Apr-16 18:04:29

If you own a flat together you can't disassociate, any financial "bad behaviour" on his part will impact on your credit worthiness.

Have you checked your credit history?

FrazzleRock Sun 17-Apr-16 19:30:01

Yes, DP and I both checked before we applied for our mortgage. We both have very high/excellent scores.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now