Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Benefits if you quit your job

(8 Posts)
Iamnotloobrushphobic Tue 12-Apr-16 10:12:50

My cousin just rang me and was very worried. Her boyfriend who she lives with has just quit his job. He had worked continuously for over 10 years but has been very stressed and unhappy recently and just handed his notice in saying he could no longer cope. My cousin doesn't work, she is long term sick but not getting any benefits after she 'failed' a PIP assessment earlier this year (she previously got some kind of sickness benefit). They do get tax credits and child benefit for their daughter. Will her boyfriend be able to claim any JSA given that he quit? I assume he won't be able to claim anything but I'm hoping I am wrong or I am not sure how my cousin is going to afford to live whilst her boyfriend looks for a new job.

Fairylea Tue 12-Apr-16 10:18:52

They treat each case individually (contrary to what you hear on here!) My husband quit under similar circumstances - mental health reasons, we have a disabled child and neither of us were coping well, and we were able to claim straight away. I have also been able to claim straight away in the past myself after leaving a job due to a divorce and being unable to cope. They ask for your reasons and you just have to make a very good case.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Tue 12-Apr-16 10:26:35

Thanks fairylea. My cousin has a mild learning disability and her boyfriend is very stressed so I think they will both struggle to advocate his reasons for quitting. I will offer to go with him to the job centre.

Babyroobs Tue 12-Apr-16 11:40:25

He may be able to get contributions based JSA and they should let HMRC know so that tax credits can be adjusted. They could also see if they are entitled to any housing benefit ifthey rent.

AnotherEmma Tue 12-Apr-16 11:51:14

Your cousin may well be able to get ESA even though her PIP application was unsuccessful (the criteria are slightly different).

Her partner might be able to get JSA but I'm not sure.

I suggest that they both go to their local CAB for a benefits check. CAB can advise which benefits they are entitled to, work out how much they would get (and do a "better off" calculation to compare different options) and even help them to apply, which might be a good option for your cousin.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Tue 12-Apr-16 12:09:52

I didn't realise that esa and pip were different so I will check if she has applied for esa. If she gets esa will her boyfriend be able to get income support as they have a young child? I know he wants to get another job but I think he might struggle to get one straightaway as they live in an area of high unemployment

AnotherEmma Tue 12-Apr-16 12:24:50

ESA is for people who can't work due to illness or disability. In theory it's a substitute for the income you would get for working (in practice it's at lot less money than most working people earn).

PIP is for disabled people whether or not they are working. It is meant to help with the extra costs of having a disability if you need personal care or help getting around.

I know that single parents of children under 5 can get Income Support but I'm not sure about couples. You could try an online calculator like But this won't be as detailed or accurate as a benefits check at CAB, so their best bet would be to do that.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Tue 12-Apr-16 12:48:40

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now