Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Why would ex put 'married' in tax return?

(23 Posts)
LittleBoroughGirl Sun 10-Apr-16 19:01:59

Is there a benefit in not disclosing your divorce in a tax return?

Why would my ex husband of 7 years put "married" on his tax return?

Name changed for this as my daughter saw the letter in his kitchen and thought it was odd so she told me. Do I need to worry about this? He is capable of anything.

simplydivine05 Tue 12-Apr-16 13:56:07

Married couples can share tax allowances. Do you work?

LittleBoroughGirl Tue 12-Apr-16 14:33:52

No I don't work, retired about 8 years ago. I have started a little sewing business though so I'll be filing a tax return next year.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 12-Apr-16 14:35:50

Is he still using your tax allowance? That's the only benefit I can think of.

LittleBoroughGirl Tue 12-Apr-16 15:15:57

I don't know, how could I find out? Wouldn't I get a letter about it if he was?

Thanks for your help.

OurBlanche Tue 12-Apr-16 15:20:39

I would assume he is using your tax allowance. Contact your Tax Office and enquire.

LittleBoroughGirl Tue 12-Apr-16 15:35:54

Will he get prosecuted or fined retrospectively do you think? Maybe I should warn him by telling him about my new business so this triggers him the chance to change the marital status on his next return.

Am I losing out by him using my allowance? Sorry if that sounds stupid.

OurBlanche Tue 12-Apr-16 15:40:37

Mmm! It could screw up your finances if it didn't fit with any pension etc you are getting, possibly.

Yes, he would be fined, have money clawed back if they found out.

Tell him about your new business venture, maybe how surprised you were at how easy it is to register as self employed (it is, honestly, it took me about 4 hours over a week or so to get it all sorted, including having locked myself out of my HMRC account smile ) and let him take it from there.

At least you are forewarned and can get an accountant to check it all out for you - you can claim their bill back smile

LittleBoroughGirl Tue 12-Apr-16 16:01:17

Yes I'll drop it in the conversation what a hassle it is having my accountant going through my tax allowance now I'm registered as self employed.

Thank you smile

OurBlanche Tue 12-Apr-16 16:27:49

That should shake something loose smile

DropYourSword Tue 12-Apr-16 16:46:51

<Clutches at straws > but could it just be a genuine mistake. If it's an online one and he had to select from a list of could be possible he just clicked on the wrong one in error (this happens a lot at work with one of our computer programs).

Chasingsquirrels Tue 12-Apr-16 16:56:40

Surely if it's marriage allowance related the person "giving up" part of their allowance (ie you) has to apply for it, so if he is doing this he would need to have fraudulently made the claim, not just classified himself as married.
Unless you were born before 1935 (I'm assuming not) and its age related?

Honestly, I don't think this is any of your business, and as long as your tax affairs are in order I don't understand why you are getting involved.

(Could he be in denial about being divorced?)

LittleBoroughGirl Tue 12-Apr-16 17:02:29

It's been prepared by the accountant for the company he works for so I don't think it's a mistake. He's worked for the same family company for 40+ years and they know he's divorced. They are a construction company and pretty "wheeler dealer" in their business so I don't trust him or them. It doesn't look like it's worth reporting him though. I don't want to drag anything up.

OurBlanche Tue 12-Apr-16 17:06:10

Chasing... there are a number of ways this could directly and negatively impact OP... she doesn't need to report him but being aware that there might be an issue means she can be on her guard and make sure her accountant is thorough (and checks for her as part of their very thorough service)

LittleBoroughGirl Tue 12-Apr-16 17:23:05

I don't want to get involved chasing. I wanted to find out if there was any reason for someone to put "married" when they're divorced.

It's my name in print as his spouse. I thought it was odd so I'm protecting myself from risk of being involved in something I don't know about.

TaIkinPeace Tue 12-Apr-16 17:26:12

THe one reason I know of is for cheaper house and car insurance grin
not on a tax return though.

Chasingsquirrels Tue 12-Apr-16 17:33:47

Is it your name though, or has he just put married?

cozietoesie Tue 12-Apr-16 17:34:14

I can't think of a legitimate reason.

LittleBoroughGirl Tue 12-Apr-16 18:21:20

It said both "married" and my full name. You could very well be right, it could be denial. Or might just have been in the accountancy system historically and never amended.

cozietoesie Tue 12-Apr-16 18:37:37

Send an email to the accountant reminding him of the change in status, then. (And keep the email.) smile

cozietoesie Tue 12-Apr-16 19:45:47

PS - phrasing it in such a way that it doesn't implicate anyone of course. wink

Chasingsquirrels Tue 12-Apr-16 20:31:29

Actually, not having updated the details since the divorce (unintentionally maybe rather than deliberate) could be a reason. But if it has your name rather than just a tick box for married then it would be harder to overlook.
Do you do a tax return?

LittleBoroughGirl Tue 12-Apr-16 21:33:37

I haven't had to do a tax return for years since I retired but I will be doing one this financial year as I started a small craft business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now