Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax refunds

(14 Posts)
Mairyhinge Fri 08-Apr-16 11:11:40

Hi, we discovered about 3 maybe 4 months ago that oh was on the wrong tax code and paying too much.
Will HMRC pay back what's over paid automatically or do we have to claim it?
And if they do it is it end of April?
Thanks in advance smile

AveEldon Fri 08-Apr-16 11:18:02

Has his new/correct tax code been applied by his employer? Before April?

Mairyhinge Fri 08-Apr-16 15:51:37

Hi, yes it has, he's been on the new tax code for 3 maybe 4 months.

AveEldon Fri 08-Apr-16 16:05:30

It should have been automatically adjusted with his PAYE each month.

AveEldon Fri 08-Apr-16 16:05:56

The tax should have been automatically adjusted with his PAYE each month.
On the final payslip of the tax year you should see pay ytd (year to date) and tax ytd
Double check these in one of the online calculators

Mairyhinge Fri 08-Apr-16 16:31:38

Ok thanks, so it's refunded gradually by being adjusted each month rather than in one refund at the end of the tax year? Am I right?

AveEldon Fri 08-Apr-16 16:38:26

yes it should have been refunded gradually - but do double check the final year end figures

SilentBob Fri 08-Apr-16 16:42:10

Sorry to jump on the thread here (glad you got sorted, OP!) but my tax code has been wrong (BR) since I left my primary job and made my secondary job my only job- about 5 months. My tax code is still BR now- can anybody help me with how I go about being refunded?

AveEldon Fri 08-Apr-16 16:46:03

Did you get a P45 from your primary job? Did you give it to your secondary job?

SilentBob Fri 08-Apr-16 20:23:52

Sorry for delay- I'm at work smile

Yes I did give my p45 into secondary job when it became my only. Then payroll staff changed and I think I got lost in their system maybe.

I'll take a look at the link at home, thank you so much!

AveEldon Fri 08-Apr-16 20:30:35

Okay so you need to query with your work why they are still using a BR code
Ask them what they did with your P45 & explain this is your only job

nannynick Fri 08-Apr-16 22:21:38

Payroll staff can not change your code until HMRC issue a coding notice, so you will need to contact HMRC - complete the form or call them.

SilentBob Fri 08-Apr-16 23:06:39

Thanks so much Ave and Nanny I'm just home now and will complete the form on the link.

nannynick Fri 08-Apr-16 23:20:14

Call payroll and ask if you have the a new code for 2016/17 tax year. The codes have been issued and are being applied to April pay. Not sure when the coding notices go out to individuals, so you may not have had it yet. If payroll says the code for April is BR, then complete the form on the link Ave posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now