Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is this some kind of a scam?

(11 Posts)
RattusRattus Mon 04-Apr-16 22:27:09

We have booked a holiday rental property in the summer and paid a deposit. It is a big property and it is quite a lot of money to rent it. This evening we have had an email saying that the owner has sold it to someone else who is planning on continuing to rent the property out and honour our booking. He has given us the details of the new owner.

I'm feeling a little but twitchy about this and am worried that I might be being scammed.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 04-Apr-16 22:34:58

I rent out holiday properties and this is always a possibility - as long as they are honouring the booking with the same conditions, it should be fine

Have you booked direct with the owner or via a third party?

RattusRattus Mon 04-Apr-16 22:41:33

Direct with the owner as far as I know. I've just gone onto Owner's Direct and looked at the availability for the property on the week I've booked it for and it is saying that it is available. I booked it in January. confused

glasg0wmum Mon 04-Apr-16 22:44:32

Does sound very odd. We have booked several properties through Owners Direct and similar sites without problems, and usually the week you've booked gets blocked out quickly. Maybe a wee call to Owners Direct in the morning? I'd also get on google for reviews of the property or anything else you can find out about it. Also google names of people you have been dealing with.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 04-Apr-16 22:49:01

Owners direct are just and advertising site, they don't get involved with bookings

I'd email or phone and ask why the dates are showing as available - or ask a friend to enquire and see what reply they get

What country is the property in?

cozietoesie Mon 04-Apr-16 23:07:56

I doubt that there's a deliberate scam but there's certainly plenty of room for 'misunderstandings' when you make such a purchase. (Buying with some bookings already taken.) Was it a hefty deposit?

RattusRattus Mon 04-Apr-16 23:22:05

Hefty enough - it's a five bedroom house in a very popular seaside region.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 04-Apr-16 23:24:08

Which country?

RattusRattus Mon 04-Apr-16 23:30:51

UK

Costacoffeeplease Mon 04-Apr-16 23:37:19

Ok, I could maybe have helped more if it was here (Portugal) as rental properties should have licences and the owners can be reported to the local council

I really think it will be ok, but check up on the dates showing as available - and maybe contact owners direct just in case they know of any similar situations or can contact the new owners for you

LowDudgeon Mon 04-Apr-16 23:43:20

Def contact Owners Direct - they're not "just" an agent, there is some financial responsibility

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now