Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Council Tax single rate discount

(6 Posts)
Password9 Thu 31-Mar-16 19:14:50

Own on home and pay all bills. no one else stays there.

If you stay in your own home 2 nights a week, are you entitled to claim single persons discount. When you spend other nights in other places or do you have to pay full rate. Ive searched and searched the net but cant any info.

Hope someone can advise. ta

Just had a notice from council saying they visit to check living there. Now worried. sad

dementedpixie Thu 31-Mar-16 20:04:52

If you are the sole person living there then you should get a 25% discount

Password9 Thu 31-Mar-16 20:10:46

It appears there investigating if, living there enough to qualify. if they do not think your living there been told have to pay full bill.

noisytoys Thu 31-Mar-16 23:21:45

I used to work in Council Tax. You can claim 25% sole occupancy discount on your 'sole and main' residence. If your home that you stay at 2 nights a week is your home and you are away for work staying in accommodation provided for work, you could claim the discount. If your main residence is elsewhere and the 2 nights per week home is essentially a second home you can't claim the discount. You can't have a 25% discount on more than one property because only one can be your main residence.

Password9 Fri 01-Apr-16 17:05:27

Thanks. I've checked what she actually does. she spends one night at friends on way to mum and dads. Then spends two nights there, then on her way back stays at friends. Then spends two nights at home and a night at her boyfriends.

Password9 Mon 04-Apr-16 16:41:41

Bump noisytoys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now