Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Freaking Out!

(14 Posts)
picklypopcorn Thu 31-Mar-16 10:15:53

Argh I've got myself in such a tizz!

My boiler stopped working this morning (no heating or hot water), we think it's about 15 years old (came with the house) and it's a combi.

Anyway, I have British Gas Homecare100 so I called them this morning and an engineer is coming out on Saturday morning to have a look (£99 excess), but I have a suspicion that this may be the end for my boiler and they are going to condemn it sad If they do, I'm not covered to get a new boiler from them so what will I do??

For context, we live pretty much hand to mouth and I have about £600 emergency money (which took 2 years to save) but that's it, I don't have the money to buy a brand new boiler let alone get one fitted sad

Does anyone have experience with BG homecare? Do they try to fix it or are they likely to just condemn??

I'm so worried sad

cozietoesie Thu 31-Mar-16 10:50:38

In my own experience, the engineer that comes will try to fix it if there are parts available although they may give you a spiel about new boiler deals.

Julieb85 Fri 01-Apr-16 11:04:40

Have a look at the government boiler schemes. They have schemes where u can get a brand new boiler interest free and pay it up. Or alternative if you need to get a new boiler they give you cash towards it. Might help.

HelpfulChap Fri 01-Apr-16 11:08:59

www.Britishgas-freegasboiler.co.uk

hasslefreeboilers.com

DaisyAdair Fri 01-Apr-16 11:13:41

Tbh, 15yrs isn't that old for a decent boiler. Eon have kept our old Worcester Bosch going and hopefully it should last a few more years.

If BG suggest you need to replace it, get a second opinion from a local gas safe registered company to confirm.

lovelilies Fri 01-Apr-16 11:13:45

There are schemes to get new boilers, just google it, then IF they condemn yours you may be eligible for a new one smile

HoppingForward Fri 01-Apr-16 11:19:01

Oh I've just been through the same thing, I really feel for you.

They no longer stock the parts for the older boilers, they did a cabin test on mine and condemned it straight away. Cut off all the gas supply.

They did leave us some portable heaters.

There are scheme out there if you are on certain benefits etc. I stuck with BG, the home care plan is free for a year with the new boiler and they flushed all the radiator pipes.

I paid £260 ish deposit and put the rest on a credit card (3k) that I can't afford to pay back sad

HoppingForward Fri 01-Apr-16 11:19:48

Cabin should read carbon

picklypopcorn Fri 01-Apr-16 12:56:47

Thanks guys, I don't qualify for any benefits being 25 and in employment with no kids sad

cozietoesie Fri 01-Apr-16 13:02:02

Wait until tomorrow before you worry. It may not even need a part - or if it does, parts may still be available. The people that come round are essentially service engineers and not salesmen. They'll likely be on their mettle to fix it.

Especially after that cup of coffee and biscuit. wink

cozietoesie Sat 02-Apr-16 08:55:26

Good luck this morning.

cozietoesie Sat 02-Apr-16 12:38:35

How is it going?

picklypopcorn Sat 02-Apr-16 14:35:33

Hey! Thanks so much for your support!

MY BOILER LIVES!!!

It was a loose electrical connection, but the British Gas man did a full service, replaced all our seals and gave the whole thing a good clean up smile

I only had to pay the £99 excess in the end!!

Must remember not to panic in future!

cozietoesie Sat 02-Apr-16 14:41:17

I'm very pleased for you. smile

Shall you be continuing with the Sinking Fund for a new one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now