Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

selling my stuff to make money

(16 Posts)
LilyRoseX Mon 21-Mar-16 16:40:09

Hi all

I'm a little tighter in the wallet than I should be this month, so I want to get sell some unwanted stuff I have knocking around the house.

Got a bunch of designer handbags, my son's computer games (no longer used), couple of mobile phones, bikes they've outgrown etc.

I've thought of going to a car boot sale to avoid online fees but it seems like a real PITA and I don't want to haggle for my things all day! I've used eBay before, but it's a bother and my account has quite low feedback - i'm guessing this will affect how quickly I can sell something? I was thinking of Music Magpie for CDs/Mobile phone has anyone used them? Seems reasonably simple.

Any recommendations other than eBay to get the highest price for my things?
x

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 21-Mar-16 16:41:48

Facebook probably the easiest.

cozietoesie Mon 21-Mar-16 16:45:50

Are the handbags the genuine article?

AmiraPatel Mon 21-Mar-16 16:50:27

Hi LilyRoseX

I had a similar problem a while back, mainly old phones and wardrobe clutter.

I've used MusicMagpies.com before but thought it was slow.

I like to use SellSprint.com and HardlyEverWornIt.com. Got good prices and simple to use.

AP

MorticiaLiverish Mon 21-Mar-16 17:52:17

Music Magpie pay peanuts for CD's, think 20p each for sinle ones. I got more by selling them on eBay. Not used them for mobiles.

I also think Facebook is probably a good idea, are there any local selling pages set up for your area?

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 21-Mar-16 17:57:21

I've been doing this recently btw, and I can say that unless you are prepared to wait, nothing is worth what you think it is, or it should be.
Be very careful about selling anything sentimental, and even genuine designer stuff won't make a fraction of what you paid for it.
Let's just say unless it's stuff you really don't want, or you are desperate, then don't bother.

LilyRoseX Mon 21-Mar-16 19:21:14

Thank you so much for all of the responses! The handbags are the genuine article.

Amira and Morticia, thank you - I won't use music magpie as if they aren't good for cd's I doubt they'd be very good for mobiles!
I've put a few items through SellSprint.com and i am waiting to see what they offer me, i'm also looking at hardly ever worn it!
Thank you for the sound advice IHaveBrolloHair, but I need to sell the stuff! Thankfully it's not sentimental! :-)

19lottie82 Mon 21-Mar-16 20:37:08

I'd say Gumtree is prob your best bet.

cozietoesie Mon 21-Mar-16 21:42:57

If the purses are high end and genuine, fish out the receipts from the stores. The reason I asked is that people are very suspicious of fakes and would likely be unwilling to pay market price unless you could show them proof of purchase.

AmiraPatel Mon 21-Mar-16 22:24:03

No problem LilyRoseX :-)

torthecatlady Mon 21-Mar-16 22:31:07

I use gumtree, no selling fees. Always start higher and haggle. Remember! You can decrease the price, but not increase smile

Missdee2014 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:39:35

Mazuma is good for mobiles. Gumtree and Facebook are quick and easy.

ellesbellesxxx Tue 22-Mar-16 12:23:19

I was going to suggest checking mobilevaluer.com for your phones... They compare what you would get from each company. I usually go with fonebank as you get quidco cash back and their reviews were good!

LilyRoseX Wed 23-Mar-16 13:54:29

Hi all thought id take the time to provide an update! :-)
Ellesbellesxxx I tried mobilevaluer.com but ended up selling my things through sellsprint.com they gave me a higher price for my mobile and my handbags (after they were verified!!) and are picking up my stuff tomorrow. Has been quick and easy so far.

I also ended up getting the decluttering bug and have sold all my old CDs with musicmagpie.com, they do give you very low prices but i'd rather get rid of them than keeping them around! All the advice has been very helpful!

cozietoesie Wed 23-Mar-16 13:59:40

Well done. smile No point in holding on to things that are of no value to you.

floraldresser Thu 28-Apr-16 09:10:24

I used Zapper and Musicmagpie for cd's, DVDs, old mobiles and old laptops/iPods. Altogether I probably got £300 and it was all done within 2 weeks - all out of my house anyway!

I loved it (very sad) and basically did it all on my phone!

Also selling my clothes/stuff went on Depop and I've made a fair bit on there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now