Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Over paid

(12 Posts)
AlbusPercival Mon 21-Mar-16 06:54:59

Hi all,

I have been overpaid by several thousand pounds sad

I will call payroll to sort this am, but will they have protocol for this? I can't just give them what they overpaid by as net after tax etc I received less than that.

I also need them to update my taxes etc as this would affect tax credits if not corrected.

Anyone have any experience?

RandomMess Mon 21-Mar-16 13:04:48

Happened to me, they sorted it out in the next payroll.

Just don't spend any of it!!!

AlbusPercival Mon 21-Mar-16 13:11:43

it cant be sorted next payroll, difference is about three months wages and changes my tax liability

MrsPigling Mon 21-Mar-16 20:22:07

also next pay roll might well be the new tax year, so your p60 will be all wrong too.

What did payroll say when you called?

RandomMess Mon 21-Mar-16 20:27:30

I meant that they could recalculate what you should have received so you know how much to repay and you can repay it by the end of the month.

They can sort this out as a matter of urgency - what did they say when you spoke to them?

Julieb85 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:07:18

Your payroll dept should run a 13 month run to run through the correct values. This should sort your tax and NI out automatically within this tax year through RTI. This run should calculate the NET value of what you owe. Then it's down to negotiable to repayment terms. I would usually offer repayment over the same number of months the error occurred or 5-10% of your pay until paid off...

AlbusPercival Tue 29-Mar-16 19:10:36

The overpayment was approx 5 months salary, I'm pg, not that work know yet just to add to complications.

I want to write them a cheque for the balance and for them to sort out hmrc. Is that unrealistic?

AlbusPercival Tue 29-Mar-16 19:44:00

Does anyone have any advice?

RandomMess Tue 29-Mar-16 19:54:02

What have HR/Payroll said?

Yes you should be allowed to repay straight away and for them to sort it out!

AlbusPercival Tue 29-Mar-16 19:58:05

They have yet to get back to me

Difford Tue 29-Mar-16 20:02:37

As long as they haven't done their year end reporting it should be easy for them to reprocess your pay and let you know the correct amount to pay back.
I do the payroll for my company and would want to sort this out asap if an employee alerted me. They will probably be glad you let them know straight away!

PositiveAttitude Tue 29-Mar-16 20:22:17

They should be able to sort this out for this tax year as they should not produce P60's until the 6th April at the earliest. It's good you noticed now and not in 8 days time. As it is their mistake they should change the P60 to make it correct and then your tax will be correct for the year and going into next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now