Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Settling Finances

(1 Post)
chuckingstones Sun 20-Mar-16 21:53:08

I posted this over on the Dadsnet part of the forum, but got no responses - I'm hoping I might have better luck here!

Quick background, we split a while ago, have two school age children and are settling after a bout of mediation. However the issue is I'm settling for about 25% of the equity (I understand that a normal percentage would be around 40%?), which I don't have a huge issue with (I obviously would like a fairer share) however my ex is trying to add all sorts of other stipulations like paying for half of school trips and things like out of school club trips too.

I want to ensure we have a complete clean break with nothing hanging over us, am I being unreasonable to say no to all these extra bits given that I'm taking a much smaller slice of the equity? Originally there was going to be a charge on the property but she decided she wanted a clean break therefore would buy me out of the house.

I was wondering what sort of agreements other parents had come to. I'm always fair about everything else - I pay the maintenance as per the CMS calculations, I buy bits and pieces for the kids (I only have them overnight every other weekend but I'm also thinking of asking for an overnight during the week on a Wednesday, is that fair too?).

Look forward to hearing from others!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now