Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do we split the bills?

(4 Posts)
CandyCrush77 Sun 20-Mar-16 16:44:51

DH and I live together. The current monthly bills are around £600. DH and I live here full time and my DSs, 6 and 7, live with us 100% of the time. DH's kids are here 50% of the time. How should we split the bills? 60/40?

TeaBelle Sun 20-Mar-16 16:47:48

50-50 if you both earn similar amounts. I don't think the amount that your respective children are at home should come into account. Do you split food bills like this too?

willconcern Sun 20-Mar-16 17:01:02

I live in my house with DP and my 2 DCs, who are here 75% of the time.

We worked out monthly bills that are affected by DCs presence based on number of days each of us is here. So I pay more to cover DCs. The reasons for this - a) I earn more than DP and b) I don't see it as DP's job to pay for my DCs. He has already brought up & paid for his own DCs, and I receive maintenance from DCs' dad for this.

The bills which would be the same regardless of the DCs eg. council tax, insurance (contents and buildings), we share 50/50.

It isn't worked out to the penny, just roughly. We each pay the same amount into the joint account each month, to cover food, bills etc.

simplydivine05 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:49:57

I live with DP and my DS. I actually pay a lesser amount of the bills as I earn a lot less than DP, however I earn less so there is no childcare bill. This is how we have been happy to do it, but it depends on how you both feel. Have the discussion about how he would be happy splitting it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now