Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Financial help for nicu

(5 Posts)
Emmaheathrow Sun 20-Mar-16 11:06:32

I'm in worry about every aspect of my life at the moment. I am in hospital with ruptured membranes at 23 weeks 2 days, no pain or no dialating so no sign of an imminent delivery. Although with my son after PROM at 33 weeks they sent me home as had no signs of delivering 3 days after they went and all happened so quick and gave birth the same night. I am trying to remain as optimistic as I can. They have told me if she survives delivery and responds well to resuscitation they will try to save her. My hospital refused to save her if born now so i had to be transferred 100 miles away.

My Ex and I are not on speaking terms and he has made it clear he wants no involvement due to his new girlfriend. Obviously I'm upset but it's not my priority at all but I am not able to rely on him for financial support, and he only earns basic wage anyway and pays a London mortgage.

Im 100 miles away a full time student on low income. I am well in to my student overdraft due to paying partial childcare for my son, uni travel, car insurance and tax, rent, food the usual. As I do not get full housing benefit because of my student status yet still have to pay for stuff that I wouldn't usually have to if I was on income support (books, travel, childminder etc) I contacted my uni last week as I was struggling to pay my child minder. I applied for then hardship fund and they gave me £300 cash which has been given to my child minder. They have said that I have £800 coming in to my bank on Thursday as the rest of my award but I have to put my car through an MOT and pay the child minder another £300. Only other income I get is my £60 a week child tax and £20 child benefit.

I'm so worried because if I deliver and she does live (I really hope) I will be spending £50 return on petrol each day to see her and I just can't afford it sad even if they transfer her back to closer to home the nearest hospital that will take under 27 weeks is 37 miles away so that's still £15 travel plus extortionate parking costs (and that's providing my car passes it's mot else will have to be trains taxis and buses!

Is there any funds I can apply for that will reimburse me or provide me with free/reduced travel and parking?

Can I claim child tax whilst she's in hospital as obviously I would use that to travel to her and pay parking costs whilst she's not at home.

Pigwitch Sun 20-Mar-16 11:34:14

You shouldn't have to pay for parking when you visit your baby in nicu - you should get a parking permit. Who is caring for your Ds now while you're in hospital.
If you have someone to care for Ds when baby is born you should be able to stay in parents accommodation free of charge which will reduce the need for travel.

bringmelaughter Sun 20-Mar-16 21:14:37

This may be useful:

namechangedtoday15 Sun 20-Mar-16 21:23:48

Contact BLISS -it's a charity for premature babies. They will be able to put you in touch with the appropriate people.

FWIW - I delivered at 27 weeks at a hospital 30+ miles from home. I was allowed to stay in hospital for 3+ weeks and we got a parking pass so my H could visit without paying car park charges. When I was discharged but visited daily, there was a "parents" room where there was a little kitchen (including microwave kettle etc) so I could take food in when I was there all day and didn't have expense of hospital restaurant.

Good luck.

OooLookShoes Sun 20-Mar-16 21:54:09

Ask about rooming in, like the pp I stayed there for a couple of weeks in my own private room, with a kitchen on site.

And yes to a parking pass, out local big hospital is £5 for 2 hrs but a monthly pass is only £10.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now