Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

NHS pension over payment

(4 Posts)
cricketballs Sat 19-Mar-16 10:42:05

have posted in AIBU as well, but if anyone has any advise it would be very welcome!

My DM passed away just before christmas. She had worked in the NHS for over 30 years before she retired. My DDad did everything by the book and informed them as soon as possible (after the bank holidays of christmas) and he received notification of them of how much he was entitled to from her pension.

He received a letter from them yesterday to say that they have overpaid him by £800 since the death notification and they are going to be collecting it in full from his bank account! On DSis and my advice he went the bank this morning to state that he does not give permission for them to access his account for this payment, to be told by the assistant manager that they do have authority as it is an overpayment!

We have advised him to write to them and offer a payment plan (which I will be doing later) but surely his bank account is his and he should be the one to give permission not just a free for all. He won't move money out as hes worried that direct debits etc won't get paid, and he is not IT savvy enough to do online banking (I want him to move his money out and just check daily for any direct debits and move money in to cover these)

Whilst it is an AIBU in terms of authority on his bank account; does anyone have any advise (remembering this is a 70 year old who struggles with email)

Julieb85 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:10:29

They absolutely cannot take money from his bank account...you need to sign a Direct Debate mandate for them to do so. The overpayment is technically from your mothers employment so they can't treat it as salary overpayment to your father. I'd say they are clutching at straws here. Offer a repayment plan - that's all the can enforce

AnthonyBlanche Sat 02-Apr-16 23:11:36

Unfortunately he does need to pay the money back. But They won't be able to raid his bank account without his permission. If he doesn't want to pay it all back in one go he could offer to pay it back over the same length of time as the overpayment occurred, from what you say about 3 months?

CotswoldStrife Sat 02-Apr-16 23:18:12

Have you seen the letter yourself, is it definitely the NHS pension and not a state pension one, because the overpayment after notification sounds more their style?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now