Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

mobile phone insurance

(14 Posts)
ilovesprouts Fri 18-Mar-16 14:26:17

Not sure if this is the right section to post in .... got the iPhone 6s looking for mobile phone insurance any ideas please ?? Thanks X

HelenF35 Fri 18-Mar-16 14:36:57

Sounds silly but sometimes you are just as well changing to a packaged bank account as iPhone insurance is expensive, usually £6-10 a month. Nationwide for example do a current account that covers you families mobile phones for £10 a month but you also get extended warranty on things you buy, Travel insurance and breakdown cover. If a friend with a nationwide account recommends you you also get £100 and so do they. Might be worth checking out? Most banks do similar.

Also check if it is covered under your home contents insurance.

JolseBaby Fri 25-Mar-16 19:37:35

Helen is right. I can't give you specifics because it would be very identifying, but most standalone mobile phone cover is an expensive waste of time - believe me!

If you have savings then just self-insure (i.e. you pay the cost if you damage your phone). If not, then an add-on to bank accounts can be useful but only as long as you are getting other benefits which make this worthwhile. Don't do it just for the phone cover

If you do take any cover out then you MUST read the T&C. Lots of them require you to register your phone. Most won't pay out if it's stolen unless you are mugged or if you have left it unattended.

If you are going to spend money then you'd be better off buying a decent and robust case for it that will offer a good level of protection if you drop it, which is the most likely way you are going to damage it.

FishWithABicycle Fri 25-Mar-16 19:46:02

Check with your home insurance provider - most will add your mobile onto the "all risks" section of the policy (i.e. including being lost or stolen when away from home) for a tiny premium. Standalone insurance is a massive rip off.

Redglitter Fri 25-Mar-16 19:49:21

I've got stand alone insurance through EE for my Samsung. I prefer it because if I have a claim I get a new handset within 24 hours.

My friends home insurance wanted to sendher phone away for repair she was without it for a fortnight

Kennington Fri 25-Mar-16 19:50:32

Don't get it, by the time you have paid for one year you could buy a new mobile outright.
I never bother.

19lottie82 Sat 26-Mar-16 07:07:15

kennington nonsense.

My ip6s insurance is £7 a month. A replacement handset would be £640...... 7 X £12 is £84?

Sootica Sat 26-Mar-16 07:13:10

I have the tech pack through Barclays which covers all our gadgets and also gives free English heritage membership plus quite a lot of other hefty discounts
Restaurants, coffee shop, golf etc
It's about £9 a month

Sootica Sat 26-Mar-16 07:15:08

Yes Kennington that's definitely not true with an iPhone. I bought ours outright for about £700 each 2 years ago as buying outright was cheaper than paying the monthly deal prices over 2 years. Not protecting a £700 gadget that is at high risk of damage - no way. I never bothered before we had iPhones

VodkaJelly Sat 26-Mar-16 20:18:27

The phone insurance from The Halifax is crap, you have to pay a £100 excess, I insure through EE for the first year then stop after 12 months.

joinertwins Mon 09-Jan-17 15:57:34

Have you taken a look at A+ Insurance ? They seem fairly competitive and have done a deal with Costco, so if you're a Costco member you get 5% or 10% off too.

delilahbucket Mon 09-Jan-17 22:57:33

I insure mine through my house insurance under personal possessions cover. As it happens I needed to claim a few months ago after dropping my phone in a bowl of soup blush. £25 excess, new and swankier phone within three days after they confirmed my old one couldn't be fixed.

LongtimeLurkerNowPokemonHunter Tue 10-Jan-17 09:21:22

I insured through insurance2go with my iPhone and subsequent android. They replaced the iPhone with a refurbished model which worked well then the battery packed in. I ended up replacing it at the apple store but they repaid me for that (although I should have gone through them)

They subsequently replaced my android when I dropped a glass jar on it and killed the screen and internals. The repair meant a different but didn't work, so I complained but I theb got a brand new replacement

It's been about 60 quid a year as I pay it at once. And it's 25 quid excess

Badbadbunny Tue 10-Jan-17 10:11:28

Just uplifted my home contents insurance to cover my son's Iphone 6 for theft and accidental damage - cost is just under £2 per month extra with just a £50 excess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now