Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

paying tax

(7 Posts)
Whatdoesntkillyou16 Wed 16-Mar-16 17:27:42

Dh submits a tax return and declares child benefit which is in my name, which we have to pay back as over the threshold.

I think we opted to continue receiving it and to pay it back as we had this idea that it protected me in terms of state pension or something.

Is this right still? - feeling very confused about it.

LIZS Wed 16-Mar-16 17:33:45

It does until youngest is 13, whether you receive the payments or opt out, as long as child I registered with the CB office.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 16-Mar-16 17:37:24

You don't need to receive the payments to keep your "stamp".

dementedpixie Wed 16-Mar-16 17:39:36

You can register the child for child benefit but opt out of the payment and still get NI benefit

lunar1 Wed 16-Mar-16 17:41:47

I've opted out of the payments and I'm still protected.

Whatdoesntkillyou16 Wed 16-Mar-16 19:49:24

Thanks for the replies. Can I register myself or, given dh is the only tax payer, does it need to be through his name?

dementedpixie Wed 16-Mar-16 20:00:32

If the child benefit is in your name you are the only one who can opt out of receiving the payment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now