Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

parking fines

(19 Posts)
mwardle123 Tue 15-Mar-16 22:03:19

I need your advice please.
I recently went shopping to IKEA in Nottingham, East Midlands but could not get a parking space even after trying for over a hour. There was a side (service road) to the left of their car park so I parked in a lay by for approximately 150 minutes. When I returned there was a Parking eye fine stuck to my windscreen explaining I had been fined for parking in an unauthorised service area. I have received two further letters at home from them, one offering a reduced rate and the second explaining its now over the 29 day period and they are following the procedures of the Schedule 4 of the protection of Freedoms Act.

What do I do?

Any advice would be appreciated

Eminybob Tue 15-Mar-16 22:04:54

I would pay the fine, as you were parked illegally.
Why have you waited so long?

Imnotaslimjim Tue 15-Mar-16 22:06:59

You were parked illegally, you have to pay, why do you think you don't?

witsender Tue 15-Mar-16 22:24:33

Pay the fine. You don't have any grounds for appeal as far as I can see.

mwardle123 Tue 15-Mar-16 22:49:53

Was advised not to pay straight away

mwardle123 Tue 15-Mar-16 22:52:46

I don't. I wanted to know if I had committed an illegal action. I so, no problem. Thanks

mwardle123 Tue 15-Mar-16 22:54:32

Ok. Thanks

dadandmum Tue 15-Mar-16 22:59:24

Uh, I dont think so, its a unenforceable invoice effectively, only a council or the police can 'fine' you for illegally parking.
Parking eye and others have been doing this for years, badly, and ripped off 100's of innocent people

Have a look here, and also a good Google search will give you loop holes and other ways to appeal and not pay this 'fine'

www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/parking-eye/

Imnotaslimjim Tue 15-Mar-16 23:06:49

dadandmum thats only if the ticket was unjust though, e.g. if she'd overstayed a p&d and was ticketed or fined for it. She didn't she parked illegally and doesn't have grounds to appeal the ticket. You can't just ignore them anymore, the rules changed in 2012 and you now have to appeal to have it quashed see more here www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/popla/

dadandmum Tue 15-Mar-16 23:28:04

It will depend on the definition of 'Parking Illegally', the definition of the 'fine' would still depend on the wording and also any photographic evidence.

Slightly of point, but does help on this occasion

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gkiw7zpULo

zikreetdreaming Wed 16-Mar-16 06:22:10

The law changed on this at the end of last year. You have to pay.

Kerberos Wed 16-Mar-16 06:29:56

Do some more research but you may need to accept that you should pay the invoice.

Private companies can't change law but they can send an invoice. If you have accepted the terms (Ie by parking) then the invoice stands. There was a test case last year which threw the argument out that parking invoices of £100 are "punitive". I don't believe it's a change of law so much as a case law precedent.

You might be OK. You may end up in court. What you do next will depend on your appetite for living life on the other edge. Do more research.

witsender Wed 16-Mar-16 07:13:50

The law has changed regarding these companies. Much of the online advice to just ignore is long out of date.

DropYourSword Wed 16-Mar-16 07:38:36

Were you parked illegally? Were there signs and lines on the road you parked on?

zikreetdreaming Wed 16-Mar-16 07:40:10

It was a change in law. Much of English law isn't written - Supreme Court judgments are very much law though.

This all assumes said ikea was in England/Wales though. No idea on position in Scotland or NI.

peggyundercrackers Wed 16-Mar-16 07:53:27

What did the road signs say on the road you were parked on? Was there any road markings? The law did change but the signage around where you parked needs to be correct in order for them to win any case they bring against you.

problembottom Wed 16-Mar-16 09:36:40

You weren't parked illegally, ignore that. Seeing all these people say pay up immediately makes me realise how these shysters make their money!

The advice nowadays is to appeal rather than ignore. Money Saving Expert forum has loads of tips on how to do this.

I got a Parking Eye fine (post law change) having said that, ignored about four letters in increasingly angry red bold capitals, threatening all sorts, then heard nothing more.

Wuffleflump Wed 16-Mar-16 10:25:40

You drove round for an hour looking for a parking space. You knew you weren't supposed to park on the service road, or you would have done it sooner. You got caught.

Regardless of the exact legality of the situation, you know you are in the wrong. It was probably private property, and the layby was provided for the service of the store. For all you know, you actually did impede someone accessing or parking on business. It's like parking on someone's driveway.

If the store doesn't have enough parking space for their customers, that's their problem. You don't have a right to be able to park wherever you want for your own convenience.

witsender Wed 16-Mar-16 10:37:02

We did the same as Bottom as per the advice at the time and they took us to court.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now