Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Any advice on outstanding order from now bust company- Aspace?

(22 Posts)
PossumMama Mon 07-Mar-16 10:35:27

Just had an email from Aspace saying that they've closed business.
I've been waiting on a bunkbed from them since October which was supposed to be finally arriving last week. Then we got the email saying they've closed their business and:
'It is with great sadness, disappointment and regret that I must inform you that on Monday 29th February, Aspace ceased to trade. Our endeavours and efforts to restructure the business over the past few years have, at times, been akin to climbing Mount Everest.

We offer our sincere apologies that you have not received any communication from us to update you regarding the delivery of your orders. We are currently working with our key partners and we will either deliver the goods to you within the next 2 - 4 weeks or we will refund you.

Please bear with us for the next week while we finalise a workable solution before starting to contact you individually. We would appreciate your patience during this difficult time.'

I've not been in this situation before- how likely is it that they will indeed deliver or refund as promised, and how likely is it that the money is lost and we need to go through our bank to reclaim the money?
Their phones just ring and ring. Should I just trust them and wait for them to contact me? Or should I contact the bank?
To complicate things, this was a Christmas present from my Dad for his grandchildren, so he paid. I feel awful if he has to go through the process of claiming this back- I feel like that awkward child again making his life unnecessarily difficult!

Anyone else affected by this?
Any advice?

NoodleNuts Mon 07-Mar-16 11:05:03

They are insolvent so I wouldn't expect that you would get a refund or your goods. There is some info here: beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04121899

I would contact your Bank and see if you can claim it back that way.

LubblyJubbly Mon 07-Mar-16 13:46:53

I have an outstanding order with them, was due for delivery on Friday PM so started to chase this AM and found out they'd gone pop the day I ordered. grrrr.
I'm on the phone to my bank as I used my bank card to pay over the phone and I'm doing a "charge back" for unreceived goods. Just on hold whilst they look into it - I'll let you know if it works. But if you used a credit/debit card you should be able to try the same.
I haven't received any emails from Aspace or anything so at least you knew!
Can you also double check your statement, I just looked to see if they'd actually taken the money and the name of the debitor was "Apsace.co.uk" so the S and P reversed - this seemed a bit dodgy to me as they took the money the day after they ceased trading according to the email you sent.
As soon as I hear from the bank I'll let you know if it was successful.

LubblyJubbly Mon 07-Mar-16 13:48:41

email *you were sent.

BlueStringPudding Mon 07-Mar-16 13:51:52

If your Dad used a credit card, then he needs to contact his card provider and let them know the situation. If the goods are not delivered, the credit card provider should refund your Dad, and then they will pursue Aspace for their money.

LubblyJubbly Mon 07-Mar-16 14:08:47

OK well it might take a while but I'll get the money back via the charge back system. So either Aspace will settle up with Barclays or deliver goods to me (both unlikely apparently) or Barclays will credit me back the money. Frustrating but at least I will get the money back at some point soon. Would still be interested to know if this "apsace.co.uk" appears anywhere else though.

PossumMama Mon 07-Mar-16 14:40:17

Thank you all.
Sorry to hear that you're in the same situation Lubbly
My Dad thankfully paid by credit card so he's off to ask his bank for the procedure to claim his money back.
I'm so annoyed- I know a lot of people have complained about their delivery speed, but I've always loved their catalogues and products, looking forward to the day I could justify having one of their beds. And the bed we were waiting for was 'the perfect one' for our home which is compact/modern/walnut. Not the classic pine stuff.
Part of me is still clinging to the hope that they will actually deliver......

specialsubject Tue 08-Mar-16 11:58:37

to reiterate - this is why you pay big things by credit card, it is then the responsibility of the card issuer to pay you back and try to recoup their money from the seller.

it will take a while and your dad should keep chasing (especially if it is Barclaycard, make sure the offshore call centre understand and raise a complaint to the UK section if needed). But the money will come back.

regret no bed though, sorry.

Ruralretreating Tue 08-Mar-16 22:10:53

I'm in the same situation - ordered DS1 a new bed, called two weeks ago to check delivery date, was told to wait until this week then received that email. Was really hoping they would deliver as we've been talking up the new big boy bed for weeks (we need cot bed back for DS2!)

pbourne Tue 22-Mar-16 22:24:48

hello, we have just found out that we are in the exact same situation. We have paid and purchased a bed and can no loner get a response from the company to confirm the delivery. Can I ask whether you have heard from them since you posted the below on the 7th March?

Ruralretreating Tue 22-Mar-16 22:57:21

I haven't heard anything and their Facebook page wasn't working earlier. I am resigning myself to a credit card reclaim

askasillyquestion Wed 23-Mar-16 14:13:04

Hi, I'm a financial journalist looking into this (my name is Rosie Murray-West) - if you'd like some help sorting it out you can email me on rosie@rosiemurray-west.com

Thanks

pbourne Wed 23-Mar-16 20:25:26

I got a respond from them today delivery been scheduled for 1st of April!!!??? (Aprils fools day lol) but I'm hoping for the delivery for my boys new furniture!!! I'm so excited but hopefully I won't get disappointed fingers crossed I'll keep you posted ladies thank you for your respond;)))

Ruralretreating Wed 30-Mar-16 21:19:10

Finally heard from them - can't deliver order and no suitable alternatives so will be put on list for refund (but suspect it will be quicker to go via my credit card provider!)

ApocalypseSlough Wed 30-Mar-16 21:21:50

I'm on their email list and they were still sending out emails last week counting down to their closure and offering discounts.
Good luck

Lizzie2three Wed 06-Apr-16 17:03:06

I am slightly alarmed as I ordered a cabin bed in the closing down sale. I have been emailed to say the bed is no longer available and to provide my card details to issue the refund. I emailed back to say I would not provide card details via email as its not a secure method. I haven't heard back. If I click on anything to do with Aspace and there website or FB page, I get major warnings flashing up saying this is in a insecure site and a potential threat and hackers are in use?????

AveEldon Thu 07-Apr-16 11:07:31

Lizzie - best bet is to contact your card issuer and dispute the transaction

FreeButtonBee Thu 07-Apr-16 11:16:17

I had similar from a furniture company 7 or 8 years ago and the furniture turned up! So it's not necessarily a busted flush.

Janeygirl1 Mon 18-Apr-16 09:25:34

Citizens advice has this information -

Following the collapse of the shop Aspace, Citizens Advice consumer expert Kate Hobson has advised shoppers how to avoid losing out if they have outstanding orders with a store which goes out of business. Kate said: "If you buy an item that cost £100 or more and was bought on a credit card, you can make a Section 75 claim to your credit card provider who will refund the full amount." Section 75 is a law which means your credit card provider is jointly liable with the retailer for any goods you buy with the card.

KCherry Mon 18-Apr-16 11:21:43

I was also waiting for a bed paid £850 in November. I paid through Paypal and Paypal refunded my money. I requested a refund through Aspace and was told they didn't know when I would get my money back.

Girlwhowearsgoggles Wed 25-May-16 14:45:11

Ah shit. I just realised they went bust. I was waiting fro a refund for a bunk bed I sent back. That's £1200 down the drain.

My bank will dispute it as paid by debit card but as I sent the bunk back I don't hold out much hope. Bugger

Lizzie2three Mon 30-May-16 09:54:30

Aspace is now back. Had an email about this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now