Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Advice needed someone to talk to please

(6 Posts)
ouija1 Sat 05-Mar-16 13:43:19

I don't know where to start. I'm in debt due to both parents dying suddenly. I'm claiming benefit but it gets taken from the bank for debts. I've been using food banks for my kids but I'm ill with chronic gastritis and IBD I'm also registered blind so things are hard at the best of times. I'm muddling through but not getting anywhere. I've asked for help but get nowhere. It took a year to get seen by citizen advice. To make matters worse the washer and dryer packed up. I'm at the end of my tether with no family to turn to. I have no way of buying anything. There's no gas to dry clothes and because I'm exhausted physically/mentally I can't cope right now. It's pathetic really if I could do a full day's work I would but I can't right now. I don't know where or how to get help now. I've tried the council and charities. I feel like giving up completely. I'm sick of this and choosing between buying food or cooking some. I just want a happy home again with carpets and heating. I don't know what to do and it's putting me in a very dark place with suicidal thoughts. The gap response is tablets which don't solve the problem

mortgagefreesoon5 Sun 06-Mar-16 05:42:11

Hi, can you get in touch with Step Change, they will help you with regards to your debt and guide you through, they are fantastic, they won't judge. You ll feel much better by taking control of the debt situation.( I have been there, done thatwink)
Phone your GP, explain how you are feeling, he might suggest antidepressants/ counselling, you need time to emotionally feel strong again. You have gone/are going through a lot
I also would look on threads about frugal living, ways to food shopping on a tight budget, have a look on MSE for cheap meals ideas, and other bits, it's brilliant.
And remember, this will too, pass. Good luckcakebrew

clashofclanswidow Sun 06-Mar-16 06:01:59

Also second Step Change. They are brill!

Your bank should not take your benefits for debts at all! I suggest you switch accounts if they are doing that! Look up "rights of arbitration" and it will show they are not allowed to do this.

BigRedMonkey Thu 17-Mar-16 10:48:29

Bottom line with most debt is that the worst thing you could get is a CCJ, depending on who the creditor is. Step Change will have loads of info on this.

Yes, it may mean you can't get credit for a while in the future but your health is more important and even if they do get a CCJ the judge will look at your situation. In my experience lots of companies don't bother doing anything after an account defaults other than send letters and phone you every day which can simply be ignored.

RedHelenB Thu 17-Mar-16 12:47:23

If debts are under £15 000 i would look at getting a debt relief order. If you haven't enough to heat your home and feed your kids you haven't enough to pay your debts. Do you have a carer?

dickiedavisthunderthighs Thu 17-Mar-16 13:53:32

Creditors can't take money directly from your account unless they have taken you to court, you've agreed payment terms which you've then defaulted from, and they've finally applied for a third party debt order.
That whole process takes absolutely ages and is a one-off - the day that the order is agreed is the date that the creditor can take money from your account, and they can only take what is there on the day, so what you've said doesn't make any sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now