Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone help with elderly parents and council tax query?

(2 Posts)
GeordieLassy Tue 01-Mar-16 10:17:49

Am trying to help my mum complete new forms sent by council re. council tax. We think they have been sent because my dad is now eligible for higher rate Attendance Allowance, as of 2 weeks ago.

Parents already receive a small reduction as on low income. Mum not sure how much reduction- she's going to look as dad used to do it all.
She is worried that the lower savings threshold of £10K may mean they no longer qualify for a reduction and the AA benefits may be cancelled out by having to pay more council tax. They don't have much savings but it's between £10K- £15K. My dad is diagnosed with cognitive impairment though not 'dementia or Alzheimers', but we wonder if his GP would say he is poorly enough to be exempt from paying towards C Tax.

Also, my mum is not happy about having to send off copies of bank statements and all money they have in order to be means tested. They live in a smallish town where everyone knows everyone else, they have relatives working at the council and she knows anything she sends may not remain confidential even though it's supposed to be.

What next?

Viviennemary Tue 01-Mar-16 13:36:34

This sending off bank statements does put a lot of elderly people and others off claiming. But I don't think there is any way round it. Make sure they are claiming what they are entitled to. I don't think there is exemption from council tax even if you have a disability. But couldn't be sure on this. One person gets a discount of 25% for sole occupancy regardless of income.

You could ring up the CAB who will know what the threshold for savings is or one of the charities for the elderly like Help the Aged and they will be able to advise you. They would probably give some help with form filling too if they need it. The council tax form will be totally separate from the attendance allowance AFAIK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now