Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

First time buyers in need of help

(10 Posts)
treacle84 Sat 27-Feb-16 19:07:59

Hi all

Me and my dh are ready to buy our first home. We have had our eye on the current market and houses in our area are creeping up and the decent ones are selling quicky. We have seen one and had two viewings. It's in a great area and the price is what we want to pay. It's in need in need of some tlc but we have also have a booking for Friday for another house which is 15k cheaper and has a new kitchen . So dilemma. Do we put on offer in on the one we've seen or risk it by looking at the other one? What would you do? There are tenants in the house we've seen and they inadvertently let out that no one else is remotely interested so we are in a good position

NoodleNuts Sat 27-Feb-16 19:42:10

You could always put an offer in on the first house, still view house no.2 and take it from there. If you like the second house better, just withdraw your offer.

wickedwaterwitch Sat 27-Feb-16 19:42:54

See them both and take it from there

thenightsky Sat 27-Feb-16 19:45:03

Go by location. Kitchens can be changed. Don't be swayed by fancy fittings.

treacle84 Sat 27-Feb-16 21:56:01

Thanks for your advice. The second house we are interested in is only 2 streets away from the other one so it's still ideal . I had a good feeling about it before I saw it and I can see us living there. I wouldn't say I'm in love with it but I think once we have put our stamp on it I will. Did any of you not think wow when you first looked but still ended up buying?

MrGrumpy01 Sat 27-Feb-16 22:21:27

Go with your heart. I have spent the last 14yrs living in a house that doesn't really feel like a home, with little chance of being able to move. Don't make that mistake.

Put an offer in for the first, and then view the 2nd. It will decide if you have made the right choice.

specialsubject Sun 28-Feb-16 11:51:10

just to flag up what your solicitor should tell you re the tenanted property:

- you cannot exchange contracts until the tenants have left
- if the tenants are in a fixed term contract, they have until that expires. If they are on a rolling contract, they have to be given 2 months notice.
- they may not go when the notice expires, eviction takes up to four months
- they do not have to allow any viewings

none of this may be an issue if the tenants want to move on but be aware.

treacle84 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:56:31

I've been told that the tenant has been given 2 months notice and that was nearly 2 weeks ago. But I am worried that they won't leave because the price they are paying is loads less than what rental properties are in this area. They have said that they are struggling to find somewhere. My sister is concerned also because he wants to get rid of the property due to something about tax. The house was on the market 18 months ago for 5k less but didn't get any offers. There's just a lot of red flags

specialsubject Sun 28-Feb-16 17:43:39

all that can be done is wait to see if the tenant does go.

tax? The stamp duty change doesn't affect you because you are buying it to live in. There are tax changes for landlords which mean that it may no longer be worth his while renting it as he doesn't make/loses money. Not red flags in themselves but don't be in a hurry with this one.

19lottie82 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:29:01

Yes the tenant may have been given two months notice (have you seen actual evidence of this?) but that doesn't mean they will or have to move out then. If they drag their heels it could take months (-!; months) to get them out. Or they may trash the place before they go. Unlikely, but very possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now