Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Best mobile phone approach for mother and teenager

(8 Posts)
Longstocking2 Wed 24-Feb-16 12:40:30

Anyone good at this kind of thing?
I find it so complicated to work out.

My ds and and I are both old iPhone users who are now out of contract. we don't need the latest iPhone.
Do you think we are best to buy recon iPhone 5 handsets (don't know which) for a £100ish each. and go for a giffgaff sim only deal.
But can we keep our own numbers? I think we can.
So for an outlay of 400 we get two phones and maybe under a tenner a month each for use?
advice very welcome

lrb978 Wed 24-Feb-16 12:50:56

I can't answer which phones would be best, but that is exactly what ds and I have done, albeit with a Samsung Galaxy and a Nokia Lumia. I put £7.50 a month on mine, £5 on his which currently he barely uses, however I have the security of knowing that as long as I put credit on his at least once every 3 months he can always contact me due to their set-up. And even if he runs out of his goody bag he can still contact me. (Giffgaff to giffgaff is free as long as you topped up in the lat 3 months). And yes you can keep your numbers.

Longstocking2 Wed 24-Feb-16 12:55:59

Thanks that's very useful.

Longstocking2 Wed 24-Feb-16 13:45:46

are you on a rolling goody bag? do you have to remember to top up so to speak?
Thanks

madwomanacrosstheroad Wed 24-Feb-16 13:51:49

That's what I have done. Why do you have to buy new phones if you have just come out of contract? Why do you not use your existing ones? Keeping number is no problem. You order a giffgaff sim card online (free), then request a package code from your current network. They will try to talk you out of this but have go give you the code. Then you activate the giffgaff sim, submit the packet code and your number gets transfered.

madwomanacrosstheroad Wed 24-Feb-16 13:53:06

You can set it that 9t tops up automatically each month.

Nicknamegrief Wed 24-Feb-16 13:58:20

We have a BT SIM card (already BT customers), it gives us 500mb data, unlimited texts and 500 mins of phone calls a month all for £5.

Longstocking2 Wed 24-Feb-16 15:01:44

thanks a lot, very useful.

I'd like a phone with a better camera if possible that's why I'd like to upgrade to a iPhone 5 if I can get one at a good price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now