Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.


(6 Posts)
nicolesmith12 Mon 22-Feb-16 23:14:21

hi, im having a baby but really confused if i can claim child tax and child benefit due to my partner, hes self employed but works away 5 days a week

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 22-Feb-16 23:21:01

Where he works has nothing to do with it. Do you consider yourselves to be a family unit?

nicolesmith12 Tue 23-Feb-16 07:36:13

i would like to think we were but on the other hand no i wouldnt say we were. sometimes he works weekends so its starting to come in the way of the relationship

Rockchick1984 Tue 23-Feb-16 11:06:20

If his home address is the same as yours then you claim as a couple. Where he works has nothing to do with it.

If he earns less than £60k you can claim child benefit, tax credits are based on your household income. If you earn less than £26k between you then you can claim.

nicolesmith12 Tue 23-Feb-16 11:24:53

he lives with his parents still, i dont work as im on income support, thank you this helped alotgrin

MrsLeighHalfpenny Tue 23-Feb-16 12:22:37

If he lives with his parents, then I'm afraid you aren't a family unit. If you don't live together, I doubt you can claim tax credits based on his salary, on top of the benefits you already claim as a single parent, though I'm no expert. I wouldn't have thought you could have it both ways!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now