Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Default - devastated!

(4 Posts)
etttvatre Mon 22-Feb-16 08:43:45

A few years ago me and H opened a joint bank account so that we could both pay money into it and we'd have the bills go into it.

He never actually paid any money into it so I gave up on the idea, stopped using the account and stopped checking it. There were no account charges and no overdraft so (naively) didn't think anything could go wrong.

Around 18 months ago I had a letter from the bank saying they've approved an overdraft my H had applied for. £500.

I got cross with him but let it go, he said he'd sort it.

Last year has been hell and we eventually separated in November. I spoke to a solicitor in December and she said to speak to the bank to close it and to ask them if they'd consider splitting the debt between me and H.

I phoned the bank last month to do this, they said I had to go into the branch. They also informed me we now owe them £800.

The nearest branch is 20 minutes away, only open 9 - 5.30 weekdays (I work so can't go in during the week) and 9 - 1 on Saturdays.

I have had a few very busy weekends but had planned to go in this coming Saturday to sort it out (stupidly didn't realise the urgency).

This morning I had a credit file alert come through, I checked it and they've defaulted the account!

Is there anything I can do about this now or am I completely doomed???

Luc28 Mon 22-Feb-16 08:49:14

You need to make time to go in, book an appointment with the manager or a higher banking advisor than those on the cashier desk. Take with you all documentation you have from your sols and explain the situation to them as you have done here. As its a 'joint' debt not sure what they will advise but best to get in asap to see them. You could also apply to Expedian credit ref to be financially disassociated with your ex. Best of luck

etttvatre Mon 22-Feb-16 09:11:30

Thank you, I'll go into the bank to see if there is anything I can do.

19lottie82 Mon 22-Feb-16 15:41:49

I'm pretty sure there's nothing they will be able to do here, sorry. You agreed to share finances with your H at the time so his actions will have affected your credit rating. It's a joint account, so a joint default.

Just go in see the bank, see if you can get the account closed (pay off anything owed, if you can) and go to all of the credit rating agencies and file notices of dis association form your ex, so you are no longer linked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now