Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits overpayment problem

(11 Posts)
Talulaley Fri 19-Feb-16 21:49:15

Before I separated from my husband we received a letter from hmrc saying they had over paid child tax credits and we had to pay it back. My husband was out of work and we couldn't afford.

Now we've split up. I'm currently written off sick due to depression and anxiety and put in a new claim for tax credits in my name. They now want me to pay back the overpayment sad

I don't know how they managed to over pay by so much, my husband must have given completely wrong estimates. They don't have his new address, so haven't asked him to pay them back, although he is working and earning.

I have no money to pay them back with. I'm struggling to make ends meet as it is.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What will they do? I presume they're going to take my current payments away which will really hurt.

chillycurtains Fri 19-Feb-16 21:53:17

I would write to them and ask for the overpayment claim to be halved so you only owe half the amount as you claimed as a joint claim so you sound only be liable for half. I doubt you will get better than that. Can you supply your exDH's new address in the letter?

Talulaley Fri 19-Feb-16 22:56:01

I could give them his address, it seems a bit unfair to him, but on the other hand I can't pay it. I don't have even half of it, so I can't pay it sad

hownottofuckup Fri 19-Feb-16 23:01:51

Why does it seem unfair for him go pay half of what he has received?
They might just take it out of your payments as it's easier. I'm suddenly paying back £50 a week apparently owed from this year. No idea how they decided this as I have earnt less so far, and they gave me no notice. Luckily I really like beans wink
Ring them and ask.

Talulaley Sat 20-Feb-16 03:39:28

I feel like I should discuss it with him first. I know he won't want me to give them his address.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Sat 20-Feb-16 10:21:54

You can ask them to reduce your repayments so that you have longer to repay, you can do this under the hardship rules. The chances are they will take the overpayment from your tax credit payments so ask them to take a reduced amount.

Talulaley Mon 22-Feb-16 00:46:32

I've written to them, giving them exh's address and listing my income and expenditure, so they can see I've not a penny to spare.

PrettyBrightFireflies Mon 22-Feb-16 00:52:11

Even if your ex submitted incorrect figures, the fact that you signed the form makes you liable individually.

When DH and I moved in together, HMRC deducted ftom our payments the overpayment that had been made to DH and his ex when they were together several years previously. She'd been avoiding repaying it and when DP submitted a claim with me, they deducted the outstanding debt from our payments.

Talulaley Mon 22-Feb-16 00:54:38

So even if I have nothing spare they will take it off me?

PrettyBrightFireflies Mon 22-Feb-16 00:58:54

They don't take all your payment away - they will deduct a repayment amount, and it often runs over several years.
If you can, make an appt with your local Citizens Advice bureau, take all the paperwork with you and they can advise you on how best to resolve this.

Talulaley Mon 22-Feb-16 02:01:32

Thanks. I'll see what they reply to my letter first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now