Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits - Single Status HELP!

(9 Posts)
HopefulHattie Fri 19-Feb-16 10:18:54

I am getting divorced and have for my Child Tax Credits to be changed to single status. The children will be living with me. My husband was on a very low income and myself on around £12000 this tax year, going up next tax year.

Will my single status mean my tax credits are reduced. I have to wait two weeks and am applying for a mortgage which has been put on hold.

Please help!

AndNowItsSeven Fri 19-Feb-16 12:02:38

No they won't be reduced if you were not already receiving the max amount you will on £12k. However you may need to ask fir an in year calculation. They will almost certainly ask for proof of desperation.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 19-Feb-16 12:02:49

Sorry separation.

HopefulHattie Fri 19-Feb-16 12:58:44

Thanks. I'm assuming they will be reduced because, there are now only 4 of us, not 5, with the same income.

Also, we will no longer receive married couples allowance.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 19-Feb-16 13:57:30

No you don't receive extra for adults only children. Married couples allowance is direct with HMRC not via tax credits.

Babyroobs Fri 19-Feb-16 17:32:55

Not sre what you mean by married couples alllowance? Child tax credits will go up if you are on a lower household income. If your income is leass than around £17k you will get child tax credits and some working tax credits and child maintainence from your ex on top.

HopefulHattie Fri 19-Feb-16 20:36:46

No Child maintenance! I am not going through solicitors. They are leeches.

justjuanmorebeer Sat 20-Feb-16 22:10:41

Go through the CMS for your maintenence. No need to ever speak to a solicitor for it. One phone call.

What is married couples allowance?

AndNowItsSeven Sat 20-Feb-16 23:33:18

www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance?gclid=Cj0KEQiAuqC2BRDVxMSnpa-mhZoBEiQAFta8wawU4TyVnTdHc6KYfkm-zyIYshJkckojTYy-GW4rtKMaAq9R8P8HAQ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now