Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Full mortgage offer without credit check?

(8 Posts)
ILoveACornishPasty Tue 16-Feb-16 18:27:25

My husband and I are buying our first house. We earn reasonable money and have a £60k deposit, borrowing a lot less than the maximum we were offered. We had a mortgage in principle from the Halifax and today they have given the full offer, saying the funds are ready when our solicitors are. However, I have an Equifax subscription-I had a poor credit score for a while as I had no credit at all so took out a credit card etc to improve it so I've been checking it monthly-and there are no records of a credit check by the bank. Is this normal? I'm just worried in case they decide to do the check later on (although they said all their checks are complete) and it scuppers the mortgage. Sorry, very dull post but I am worried.

needssomesun Tue 16-Feb-16 18:33:37

They will have done a credit check, there's no way they'd offer without this, occasionally a lender will run another check before completion but that's to check that you've not taken out further credit or defaulted since the offer was issued.

Sometimes credit checks don't show up, I've no idea why! It could be that if you got a report from a different credit referencing agency that it would show up there. I really wouldn't worry 😊

needssomesun Tue 16-Feb-16 18:36:12

Also, meant to say that Halifax are more sympathetic with older credit issues, and a low score by itself (without late payments etc) are not really an issue

Stylingwax Tue 16-Feb-16 18:36:37

I think Halifax do a soft check which doesn't show up. No idea how I know that, think a broker told me. They wouldn't give you an offer without checking, don't worry.

needssomesun Tue 16-Feb-16 18:41:51

As far as I'm aware, Halifax do a soft search at AIP stage and then a full credit search at full underwriting which would have happened before they issued your mortgage offer

needssomesun Tue 16-Feb-16 18:44:16

If it's any comfort, I've worked for brokers for 15 years and have handled thousands of Halifax offers, I've only ever known them to withdraw an offer once and that was because the client had decided to stop paying their mortgage once they'd received their offer!

ILoveACornishPasty Tue 16-Feb-16 18:47:12

Thank you all so much! I didn't realise how much buying a house sucks you in emotionally which sounds like such a stupid thing to say. We've scrimped and saved for soooo long that I would be crushed if anything went wrong. I feel so much better now smile

Bearbehind Tue 16-Feb-16 19:49:57

There are 3 main credit reference agencies and not all lenders report to all agencies.

According to MSE, Halifax use Experian so it wouldn't show up on an Equifax report.

If you have a full offer they will definitely have done a credit check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now