Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

ovo energy

(13 Posts)
FoxMuldersWife Tue 16-Feb-16 14:45:25

Does anyone have any experience with Ovo energy? Are they any good?
I am considering moving to them for both gas and electricity on their smart+ tariffs (I have prepayment meters) I like the idea of being able to top up by using a phone app, but I've seen some reviews which make me wonder if they aren't such a good company to move to after all.

Brysonette Tue 16-Feb-16 15:14:24

We use them, I've found them very helpful when calling and the website is easy to use.

We came to them from Scottish Power though, so anything would have been better than them!

WilLiAmHerschel Tue 16-Feb-16 15:17:32

Im with them and have recommended them to others. I've had no problems so far - been with them nearly a year now.

NotMrsTumble Tue 16-Feb-16 15:37:42

I renew with them year upon year. I find them really helpful and they seem to be well priced (not the cheapest but within £30 for the year, which is worth it for the customer service given previous experience). They did cock up the switch over of someone I'd recommended them to, but twas all sorted in the end. I like that I can see my account status online, generate illustrative statements from readings at any point, tweak my monthly direct debit amount, request refund of any built up credit (which gets 3% interest) all online. The interface is a bit clunky.

EssentialHummus Tue 16-Feb-16 15:39:51

We switched to them from Southern, all good so far. The call center occasionally gets horrendously busy in the afternoons but they have the best hold music I've ever heard (DP once caught me dancing around to it grin).

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 16-Feb-16 15:45:14

I've been with them for two or three years and only deal with them on line.
They remind me to give a meter reading once a month and prepare a statement.

I find the website very good and their pricing not too bad at all.

I chose them from a comparison table and took customer service ratings into account.

VagueButlmportant Tue 16-Feb-16 19:20:50

I've been with them for a few years and I was just recommending them at work today.

I have never tried to speak to them, as the website is so easy to use.

The best thing for me is that if your DD is too high and you build up credit, they pay 3% interest. That's better than I can get in an ISA or at any high street bank. I currently have over £300 in my account. They haven't prompted me to drop my monthly amount, so I haven't! I'm saving for Christmas!

I haven't got anything bad to say about them. They might not be the cheapest, but they are certainly cheaper than my previous supplier (NPower)

specialsubject Tue 16-Feb-16 20:33:26

you can get 5% interest at the TSB and Nationwide.

don't pay higher electricity prices for this.

LostPlatypus Tue 16-Feb-16 20:34:09

I use them, and have for a few years. I find them very easy to use, and like that you can change your direct debit if you are over or under paying. (and all the other good points that previous posters have said)

I had cause to phone them once when someone misread my meter, which they were very good about and they explained that they could see it was an obvious misread (it would have made my bill in the thousands) so they were just ignoring it on the basis that my next readings would be back to normal and not to worry.

They have been so much more straight-forward, easier to deal with, and better at explaining things than any other electricity company I have been with.

bonzo77 Tue 16-Feb-16 20:37:27

We tried to switch to them from SSE. The switch has taken over 6 months, due to errors their end. Nightmare, no explanation, no apologies, no communication. Still not certain it's done properly.

ThomasRichard Tue 16-Feb-16 20:43:00

I switched to them last year and have found them the easiest company to deal with so far (out of EDF, EON, NPower and Utility Warehouse <shudder>).

Effic Tue 16-Feb-16 21:04:09

I've had no problem. Easy to switch too, easy to use.

FoxMuldersWife Wed 17-Feb-16 11:44:33

As nearly everyone has had positive things to say about Ovo I've taken the plunge and signed up to swap energy supplies to them. Thank you so much for your help grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now