Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Student Finance - sudden overpayment demand

(4 Posts)
Ohdearohdear1 Sat 06-Feb-16 22:38:05

Please advise me if you can,

After graduating 4 years ago, I have received a letter today stating that I owe £1500 in grants, which needs to be paid by the end of this week!

I'm shocked as I can't figure out how I have been overpaid. The only thing I believe it could be is due to my childcare grant, however I paid my childminder well over the amount I was given by SF, even at 80% of the costs. I always underestimated.

As 4 years have gone by and my childminder has long since disappeared, I have no way to prove what I paid her, other than the records they already have. If there is a mistake I don't know how to rectify it.

I am currently not working, and am a single mother of 3 children, there is no way I have afford to pay £1500 just like that, what can I do?!

19lottie82 Sat 06-Feb-16 23:04:29

Phone them and tell them what you've told us. I'm sure they should be perfectly reasonable in arranging a payment plan if you do owe this money, especially if this is the first time you've heard of it.

Ohdearohdear1 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:11:44

Thank you I will contact them, I just feel upset about it, because I know I really do not owe this money. And now 4 years later I'm going to struggle to prove it.

listsandbudgets Sun 07-Feb-16 17:47:00

How did you pay your child minder? Cash or bank transfer? If through teh bank, do you have any of your old bank statements left that might help you prove what you received and / or paid? If it ws cheques do you have any stubs left?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: