Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

help when jobless...are short term benefits possible? in a panic.

(4 Posts)
bumbleandbumble Thu 04-Feb-16 18:51:40

I have been unemployed since 5th of Jan. My husband now lost his business/income/job today. We both have bad credit and debt, although his is a lot worse than mine. We have no savings. We are due to inherit 100k soon, but have no time as to when it could be 3 to 6 months time most likely. In those 3-6 months...if both of us are unemployed, can we claim any benefits if only for a few months. We have two kids under 5 and I am worried how we are going to survive.

gamerchick Thu 04-Feb-16 18:54:57

You can put a joint claim in. I probably wouldn't mention the money that's coming though. Just sign off when you're sorted.

FellOutOfBedTwice Thu 04-Feb-16 18:56:19

Due to inherit as in the money is guaranteed or due to inherit as in one of you is going to kill your granny? What's the source of this money?

Oldsu Thu 04-Feb-16 20:38:43

If both of you have the relevant NI contributions then you can claim cont based JSA and can claim other benefits due to low income as CB JSA is not a passported benefit for HB free prescriptions etc, these benefits are based on your income, savings at the point of claim so if you haven't got the money then that fine but they will need to see bank statements etc.

Once you have the money you will need to close your claim for any income based benefits, you are not allowed to have it sitting in your account or use it for living and still claim IB benefits.

However IF you use it to pay debts etc and then go on to claim IB benefits then notational capital rules apply, if a decision maker decides that you have spent it in order to claim benefits then you may be treated as if you still have the money and you will get nothing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now