Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

skint dad penny saving challenge

(11 Posts)
RavioliOnToast Wed 03-Feb-16 07:33:39

Is anybody else doing this? It's where you save 1p on day 1, 2p on day 2, 3p on day 3 etc etc. Anyway, after a year you rack up around £630.

How else do people save, other than taking a lump sum out of wages? We would miss a big sum too much so have decided to do this smile

sandgrown Wed 03-Feb-16 07:37:47

Sounds a great idea. I will join you !

Pointlessfan Wed 03-Feb-16 07:37:59

I do coin sweeping, basically like a virtual loose change jar. I go on my online banking and transfer all the money on the right of the decimal point into a savings account about once a week. It soon adds up.
We have an actual loose change jar too which we use for holiday spending money every summer. We usually collect at least £70 in there.

RavioliOnToast Wed 03-Feb-16 08:18:48

Pointless, we would do this too but I can't transfer under £1 online- not sure why.

There's a pdf you can download for the challenge here and this link has a few different ones such as save 12.50 every week to save 650 a year etc so that it can be properly budgeted for. We are doing the weekly one, where itadds up that weeks total and then we transfer that one- that is also on that second link

peaz1 Wed 03-Feb-16 08:30:49

We do a few savings account from our wages on pay day- £70 for holidays, £70 for Christmas, £250 for a savings account where we get £3k every October, and £50 each for the kids for when they are 18. The £250 on we started about 12 years ago, and we didn't receive anything for the first 5 years, so now its stacked up. Its so much easier to just set up a direct debit otherwise we would never do it. It would be lovely to have the extra £400 a month but I guarantee you- we wouldn't save a penny of it.

Saying that, I am doing three other savings accounts- the skint dad one (I am changing it a bit- on the first 4 -5 days after payday I put in the most expensive amounts. If I do this for 12 paydays then the last two months of the year will be easier to deal with.) I am also buying a £20 giftcard on payday. Christmas was tough, even with our savings account, so this will help.
The last one is £1 a mile I run. So, I am hoping that each month I will run 40 miles at the moment, building up to around 60 miles on average by the end of the year.

peaz1 Wed 03-Feb-16 08:38:12

Sorry- my post may look like we have a LOT of money! We don't at all, and it is a struggle, which is why we have a DD for our savings account, otherwise we would spend it straight away. We also have a lot of home improvements that need doing, but the £3k gets put towards it. I am not sure if I will be able to keep up the skint dad challenge but I will give it a go!

cozietoesie Wed 03-Feb-16 09:01:30

I'm a big believer in modest DDs. I had one which always seemed to just be paid despite being on my uppers at times. If it had been a question of taking the money and putting it somewhere - well, I don't think I would have done it.

laplumeofmyaunt Wed 03-Feb-16 09:09:48

We're doing the challenge, but copying someone else on MN who printed out the sheet, cut all the amounts up separately and picked one out of a container every day - spreads the larger amounts across the year rather than them all coming in December - so for example, I put £2.72 in the tin yesterday and 82p today.

Even got DH involved - he asks how much we need for the tin today and hands over bits and bobs of coins.

Ememem84 Thu 04-Feb-16 09:40:10

I'm doing it the other way round. So largest amounts now. More of an incentive as the closer I get to Christmas the bigger the amount saved will be.

cozietoesie Thu 04-Feb-16 09:57:39

Perhaps do both if you can? The aspect of DDs that I like is that they just keep plugging away so are good for long term saving because you forget about them almost. The more immediate savings are, arguably, better for specific short term goals such as Xmas.

cozietoesie Thu 04-Feb-16 10:00:29

PS - I'm not talking about seemingly substantial amounts here because £10 a month over a number of years can still end up being quite a tidy sum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now