Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits Suspended - Nightmare!!

(13 Posts)
KeelyT Thu 28-Jan-16 10:48:20

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I received a letter dated 20/01/16 advising that my tax credits are being suspended. No reason was given for this.... Just that I was to call before 19th February so they could complete their checks.
My TC were due to be paid in today, as were my nursery fees due to be paid out.
There is a number on the letter 03000541048 for the compliance officer, however, either the line goes dead or it rings 3 times and disconnects.
I called the normal helpline number and was advised by 2 different people that they could not help me and I was to keep trying the compliance office number.

I have no idea as to why these payments have stopped and a days notice is ridiculous.
I rely on my tax credits so much with being a single parent and now I fear that as I cannot pay my nursery fees, I will lose my 21 month old sons place in the nursery. My wages only just cut my bills so theres no way I could pay nursery out of those.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas as to why they could have stopped?

Thanks sad

LabourOfLife Thu 28-Jan-16 13:00:51

Don't know but bumping for you

HumptyDumptyHadaHardTime Thu 28-Jan-16 13:07:16

Do you have a partner?

TheXxed Thu 28-Jan-16 13:10:12

Can you get an interest free over draft? For the time being

Akire Thu 28-Jan-16 13:10:45

Well the nursery about delays they should give you some space. It's not like you are refusing to pay. Lots of people get behind with fees it's unlikely that going to imminently cancel your place. Most nurserys will wait months before going down that route at which point it should be sorted out.

Had search seems to be a common thing where number dosnt work. Found a document dated March 2015 gives numbers attaching pic as phone not letting me copy it!

KeelyT Thu 28-Jan-16 13:13:17

No, I am a single parent

KeelyT Thu 28-Jan-16 13:15:06

Thanks Everyone, I finally got through after 2 hours and 45 mins of constant ringing. Apparently they had sent me a letter back in September requesting proof of childcare info. I had not received anything. Anyway they've agreed to lift the suspension and pay me within 48 hours whilst they await the evidence.

Thanks All.

Akire Thu 28-Jan-16 13:16:15

That's great news- all sorted. Do like a good news update

LonerDave Thu 28-Jan-16 13:19:25

Great news! I've just had to send a whole pack for tax year 2015 back to them otherwise mine are cut off m, equally single parent so this would scare the shit out of me!!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 28-Jan-16 13:21:48

Keeley I had a similar problem because they wanted more 'evidence', in our case, wage slips. I managed to photograph the info they wanted and send as an e mail to speed up the whole process. Relavant email addresses on the tax credit website. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious..

KeelyT Thu 28-Jan-16 13:22:26

It's frightening isn't it. I literally got home from work last night to to that letter and sheer panic set in as I was due to be paid today sad Hope it goes smoothly with you LonerDave

KeelyT Thu 28-Jan-16 13:24:14

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties - I did ask for an email address but she gave me a fax number instead to fax details to. Apparently only the specific compliance officer can deal with any queries as they're the one doing the investigations....

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 28-Jan-16 13:28:51

OK hope you get it sorted. God, who uses fax machines these days? Get with it, tax credits investigator people!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now