Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How Many Bank Accounts Do You Have?

(5 Posts)
jevoudrais Tue 26-Jan-16 09:11:44

I see people say 'I put X away into the holiday pot a week' and so on.

Do you have separate accounts for things or do you remember what proportion of each account is for what?

We have a joint current, joint savings, an ISA each, a current and a savings each. That sounds like a lot, but the joint ones are the only pooled ones obviously (our personal ones are where 20% of our salaries go to buy each other presents/spend frivolously but it's not the bulk of earnings by any means).

Just wondering how everyone works it?

magicstar1 Tue 26-Jan-16 09:45:27

I have a current account as does DH. Our wages go into those accounts. I transfer a set amount from each into our joint account for day to day spending, and an amount into another account for direct debits - so mortgage, health insurance, electricity etc. come out of there.
We have another account for short term saving which we can use if we need. We have a credit union account each too with a set amount being saved each week.
Sounds like a lot but it works for us.

Wuffleflump Tue 26-Jan-16 11:59:51

2 current accounts. 1 is currently unused - was a Nationwide one I got for foreign travel because of favourable terms. The removed a lot of the advantages, so I can no longer be bothered to move cash into it temporarily for holidays.

Equity ISA - though just emptied this due to current market and needing to draw the money soon, so can't risk fall in capital. Had it for 10 or so years, so outperformed cash over the full life.

Cash ISA - original savings quite old now, used a lot of fixed-rate deals. When one ended I redeposited with same provider at new deal, so kept in ISA wrapper.

Help to buy ISA - just opened as rate was good. I won't be able to use help to buy as property worth too much, but still get the interest, and hadn't used cash isa this year.

2 other savings with same provider as current account for ease of use. 1 used to be my holiday/fun savings, which I kept separate because I was using fixed-rate ISA so needed an account I could deposit/withdraw from. Currently preparing to buy, so everything is mixed up.
There are 2 because the rate of the original one dropped, so I opened a new one. Then the rates switched and I went back to the old one!

specialsubject Tue 26-Jan-16 12:09:22

anyone wanting interest on their savings will have several - the numbers you are allowed have dropped but 10 or more is not unusual for that reason.

TheDrsDocMartens Tue 26-Jan-16 12:24:17

I've about 10. Much easier to track it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now