Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Purchasing an expensive item- what options of protection are there?

(4 Posts)
DibD0bs Mon 18-Jan-16 19:05:30

Hi

I'm about to buy some bi fold doors from a small company and am wondering what protection there is from the company not delivering the goods or going into liquidation before the doors are delivered. We have to pay 30% deposit when ordering and then the balance 5 days before the doors are delivered to the house to be installed?

I understand section 75 provides protection if you pay by credit card. However the seller uses worldpay for credit card transactions so I believe the transaction is then not covered by section 75 as the payment is through a third party.

I am therefore not sure what options I have to cover myself for hopefully a remote possibility. What would other people do (that can include walking away from the purchase) in this situation

fredericofoofoo Mon 18-Jan-16 22:18:59

Is the company a member of FENSA? If so, the should have a deposit protection plan in place.

TBH, I would be a bit dubious about a company asking you to pay up front. Most double glazing firms ask for smaller deposit (usually 10%) and then the balance on fitting.

DibD0bs Tue 19-Jan-16 06:24:41

I don't believe they're a member of FENSA. However it doesn't look as if many bifold companies are. I must admit at the moment this is a deal breaker unless we can find a way around it which is a shame as their doors are lovely.

fredericofoofoo Tue 19-Jan-16 08:47:38

Certainly in my area, the Midlands, most glazing companies now do bi-folds and are FENSA registered. There are a few different bi-folds on the market so if the company you were thinking of using have given you the profile name/spec then it may be worth googling that to see if other local firms do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now