Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Expecting a cheque from HSBC for approx £3000 and I need to cash it without trace ... Is this possible ?

(39 Posts)
private Thu 14-Jan-16 00:57:04

For reasons I won't go into on this thread I need to cash a cheque , made out to me , and I don't want to pay it into my everyday bank account .
I'll very likely have to provide my solicitor ( I'm divorcing Stbx and paying £4000 for divorce and financial settlement ) with 12 mths bank statements and I really don't want this £3000 showing up .
Can I cash it anywhere else or maybe if I pay it into an account I never use and then withdraw it a few days later, and then close the account ( savings ) he would never know anyway ?
It all sound very fishy I know but my question isn't about ethics it's just the practicalities please . If STBX discovers I have it it will be another year before I can proceed with divorce .

SeoulSista Thu 14-Jan-16 00:59:45

Just open up a new account somewhere, and lodge it there? Is it still possible to cross a cheque so that it goes directly into the account at the solicitor?

Gobbolino6 Thu 14-Jan-16 01:05:33

Surely you're legally obliged to declare all accounts? You might be able to cash it at a pawn shop or similar, but legally I'd imagine you'd be on very dodgy ground.

private Thu 14-Jan-16 01:06:25

I never thought of that thanks ( solicitor ) . I will ask her .
Thanks again .

PatriciaHolm Thu 14-Jan-16 09:40:50

If it's a crossed cheque that says "Account payee only" or "A/C Payee Only" (likely) then no, it can't be signed over; it can only be paid into an account in the name of the person its made out to. I would imagine most solicitors would be wary of accepting a cheque this way as well, given it's obvious why it's being done.

lovefairylights Thu 14-Jan-16 09:46:28

See if you can get some kind of savings account with a passbook - usually building societies do them. You can't manage them online and i don't think I even get statements on one of mine. Then when you want to pay solicitor ask them to do a bank transfer to the solicitor - you may have to pay a £20 charge rather than a cheque being issued to your name for free.

SewSlapdash Thu 14-Jan-16 09:57:38

Solicitors are not permitted to hold money for no purpose. You will need to open your own account to deposit it.

GlacindaTheTroll Thu 14-Jan-16 10:01:23

You can't use a solicitor as they will (rightly) refuse to be a party to the concealment of assets by one person during a divorce.

Marzipants Thu 14-Jan-16 10:09:26

How long do you need to provide 12 months of bank statements from? Could you hold onto the cheque until afterwards? Maybe get a 0% credit card for the amount to tide you through..?

SageMist Thu 14-Jan-16 10:11:07

Can you leave it for a while before paying it in? Aren't cheques valid for 6 months?

ceeveebee Thu 14-Jan-16 10:11:36

If a man was asking how to conceal assets during a divorce settlement I imagine he'd get a very different response...

VertigoNun Thu 14-Jan-16 10:12:35

You want to lie to the court in your form E? shock

ivykaty44 Thu 14-Jan-16 10:19:05

No cheque is legal for a set amount if time, the company could close and you would be out of pocket - just had a cheque back with company closed stamped over it! Only twenty wuid though not three grand....

There are shops that will cash cheques for you but they charge a fee.

12% fee!!!

I would just put the cheque into an account and worry about producing your bs at a later date, if it happens

NoSquirrels Thu 14-Jan-16 10:20:38

Cheques are valid for 6 months - how soon will you need to provide 12 months' statements? Can you hold off on cashing it and move forward with providing the statements now (January is a good time, a full calendar year).

Where is the cheque coming from? Can you ask it is issued to someone else (i.e. direct to the solicitor?)

A one-off payment of £3000 doesn't sound like enough to change the financial settlement of your divorce, though - are you sure it's necessary or just a bit panicked?

NoSquirrels Thu 14-Jan-16 10:22:01

Sorry - see you answered question in thread title that's coming from HSBC. Obviously you can't get it issued elsewhere then.

Antisoc Thu 14-Jan-16 10:24:17

shock sounds very fishy.....

DesertOrDessert Thu 14-Jan-16 10:25:00

You shouldn't be hiding funds, but for a heafty fee, you can get the cash for a cheque

LettuceLaughton Thu 14-Jan-16 10:28:55

Such a contrast with yesterday's thread hmm

DesertOrDessert Thu 14-Jan-16 10:37:46

Oh, what happened yesterday, Lettuce?

Pipistrella Thu 14-Jan-16 10:41:22

You've come here to ask for help committing fraud, or have I missed something?

Good luck with that!

sofato5miles Thu 14-Jan-16 10:41:48

Why do you think your ex would delay the divorce by a year?

Skullyton Thu 14-Jan-16 10:43:55

can you get the cheque made out to a parent and have them cash it for you?

VertigoNun Thu 14-Jan-16 10:46:58

Those helping in the fraud as just as bad as op.

Pipistrella Thu 14-Jan-16 10:57:34

Having seen yesterday's thread, I can see your reasons. I think though that you are taking a huge risk with your own situation if you try and play games with it.

Just declare everything. Don't let your emotions get in the way. At the very least get professional advice about this, so that you are above board and not breaking the law.

Asking on MN is really, really daft. sorry.

Zorra Thu 14-Jan-16 12:55:56

Try a credit union. I have an account because I like to support local finance, but to my knowledge it is not linked to other accounting systems and probably won't show up anywhere. I don't know if this is true in the bigger ones though so check out your local ones first.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: