Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Taking a lodger/mon-fri let?

(27 Posts)
Boxymcloxy1900 Tue 12-Jan-16 22:30:02

Anyone done this?

We're thinking about it. We're in a townhouse. Study, toilet and kitchen on ground floor. Study could be made into a Bedroom. Should be relatively quiet.

We have 2 kids and a dog. I'm thinking it could be easy money - we're out during the day anyway. But then I think we'd lose privacy etc and it wouldn't be worth it.

Anyone done it? Any thoughts?

FYI websites round here seem to suggest mon-fri let could pay about £400pcm.

BackforGood Tue 12-Jan-16 23:48:59

I haven't, although I know someone who has, and a couple of people who have used this type of arrangement.

If I'm honest, I think the dc and dog might put some people off (depends a bit on the age of dc and type of dog I suppose).

How do you envisage cooking working, and showers / getting out in the morning with 5 of you fighting over a bathroom ? Are you planning to offer an evening meal or to let them use the kitchen? How will that impact upon your cooking / clearing up time ?

BackforGood Tue 12-Jan-16 23:49:53

Also, you say 'study'. How big is the room? If they aren't going to be using the living room, they need space to sit / work / watch TV in their bedroom

Boxymcloxy1900 Wed 13-Jan-16 07:06:56

Thanks for reply. The room is definitely bedroom sized we just use it for a study at the moment.

I think you're right about the general family noise - I wouldn't want to live in this type of house when I was single.

Dh and I have an en suite. The main bathroom is on the middle floor. Would be shared with dcs. They don't really use it in the morning (just teeth brushing). But again - flight of stair to access bathroom might be a problem. There is a toilet on ground floor though. Hmm.

OllyBJolly Wed 13-Jan-16 07:14:00

I did the M-F thing when I worked in London. Places with kids/animals did put me off but tbh, it was a needs must situation for me.

I got lucky with a self contained unit in someone's house - shower-room, mezzanine bed, little living area with microwave and kettle. Could go weeks without seeing landlady/lord. Overall tiny but suited me fine for a couple of years.

Guess it depends on demand in your location. If you're in London someone would tolerate the shared bathroom, kids and dog.

Boxymcloxy1900 Wed 13-Jan-16 07:24:50

Just outside London. Mainline station in south east.

Close to farnborough airport.

chelle792 Wed 13-Jan-16 07:29:20

There will definitely be demand for it. I did it for years. A few things - when you meet them, think of it as an interview. Any red flags, don't do it - on to the next person. I ended up in a situation which genuinely compromised my safety and it wasn't pleasant to say the least

Boxymcloxy1900 Wed 13-Jan-16 08:16:09

Oh chelle - that doesn't sound good.

Can I ask how you advertised?

And what was the 'profit' iykwim. Was it worth it?

19lottie82 Wed 13-Jan-16 08:30:13

Try advertising on spareroom.com (co.uk?)

Boxymcloxy1900 Wed 13-Jan-16 15:46:54

Yes there seems to be a couple of websites.

I'm just wondering whether it is "easy" money or not.

BanningTheWordNaice Wed 13-Jan-16 15:49:01

If I were you I'd really think about how much you value your space and give very clear expectations of how much you would expect them to be in the kitchen, do you want them to have access to the sitting room etc?

Boxymcloxy1900 Wed 13-Jan-16 16:11:46

That's what puts me off. The lack of privacy. I usually have pjs on by 6pm.

chelle792 Thu 14-Jan-16 10:50:42

I found the money to be invaluable. Stopped me losing my home on more than one occasion.

I used spare room.co.uk and they were really good.

It was horrific - after my ex moved out I ended up accidently taking someone in who had a pending rape conviction. He later told me he was also being charged with having indecent images. I moved my boyfriend in for safety until he moved out. Thank goodness I changed the locks because a few weeks later he tried to let himself back in the house.

I've left some other details out because it's just traumatic tbh. I probably should have contacted the police myself.

On a positive note, I've had many awesome male and female lodgers. Overall it's been a good use of space and well worth the money.

EssentialHummus Thu 14-Jan-16 11:00:21

That's what puts me off. The lack of privacy. I usually have pjs on by 6pm.

Me too! I did it once, in London. Only advice is to have a good contract in place, rather than relying on everyone being sensible. Take a deposit. Be clear in your expectations of what areas of the house lodger can use, any time restrictions and the like. In my experience unhappiness arises from lack of clarity.

ivykaty44 Thu 14-Jan-16 12:44:37

You can earn from a room let around £4200 per year without having to pay tax. So factor this into your rent £80 per week. Will you charge when they are not in the room? Annual leave etc? Or will you charge a retainervof 30% for their belongings being in the room?

Why does it matter if your in your PJs at 6pm, they may also be in their dressing gown and slippers - you will be sharing living spaces.

Set a notice period of two weeks and take rent weekly with two weeks deposit. If they get behind on the rent by taking it weekly you know right away and don't get stung.

Give a rent book and enjoy your weekends of personnel space.

Don't forget they will not usually arrive till Monday night and you won't see them again after Friday morning so you get almost four days of privacy.

It's with four grand a year

Boxymcloxy1900 Fri 15-Jan-16 22:45:47

Thanks all. I'm not convinced either way at present confused.

Sometimes I think no, it's too intrusive, then I think it's a good chuck of cash - easy money.

No decision will be made any time soon though!

Fadingmemory Sat 16-Jan-16 08:23:22

I let out a large room which has an ensuite shower. We share the kitchen. £350 a month (city, near centre but not London). Works very well. We can go days not seeing one another so not under one another's feet. Pays the utility bills for the whole house, so very much worth doing.

summerainbow Mon 18-Jan-16 16:38:04

I know a couple of people who had short term contracts of IT in your area so could worth it for them

Fifi10 Tue 19-Jan-16 17:09:56

My brother used to rent a room mon-fri when he was a post-grad student. Worked out really well for him as it saved him relocating a altogether. Think his landlady had a dog etc. but no issues.

He found his through air bnb, but I'm sure he went to meet her first and do an interview type thing as it was a longer term arrangement. With kids etc. I'd be really careful about picking someone but I imagine it is fairly lucrative once you get the right person.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 19-Jan-16 17:17:28

I have a lodger and she has made my house better not worse, because I got very lucky and happened to find someone who shares my love of feminist ranting and gardening.
We found her on Gumtree.

Re your having a dog, someone who came round yesterday to look at our second spare room was disappointed we hadn't got a dog because she misses hers!

I think my advice would be to charge slightly below the market rate if you can afford to so you can be picky about who you get.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 19-Jan-16 17:20:36

You can always specifically try to find someone whose routine is different from yours to minimise clashing. It is normal to discuss this when people come to look round.

Boxymcloxy1900 Tue 19-Jan-16 17:46:06

Really useful advice. Thanks all.

LeaLeander Tue 19-Jan-16 18:20:21

You might get lucky and find a tenant who showers daily at gym after morning workout, or something like that. And if they work late hours, shop or dine out on some evenings, that is even more time you would not feel intruded on. Might be worth a try.

How old are your children? I'm not paranoid but the thought of someone moving about near their bedrooms at night (using shower etc.) might creep me out a bit. Unless I were right there but it sounds like you might be a floor above?

Boxymcloxy1900 Tue 19-Jan-16 19:46:59

Yes - the room potentially to let is ground floor. There's a toilet next to it, and the kitchen on that floor.

The Lounge, family bathroom and a bedroom on middle floor. Technically it's my sons bedroom (6yo). But he always sleeps upstairs sharing a room with his 8yo sister.

We're also on top floor with en suite.

Technically the room to let could be the room on the middle floor right next to the family bathroom (same room just has loads of toys in at the moment - unused). Might lack privacy though.

So yes - nobody but family would be on the top floor.

LeaLeander Tue 19-Jan-16 20:26:07

I think that sounds OK. They would be able to watch their computer or TV in the ground floor room, make a snack and use the toilet. Nip upstairs early in the a.m. for a quick shower and back down to their room to get ready and leave. That's a fair amount of privacy.

It would be great if there were a shower in the ground-floor toilet but c'est la vie. And again maybe you will get someone who prefers to shower elsewhere like gym or perhaps facilities at their workplace if they're in a hospital setting or corporate offices with swanky perks or whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now