Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

urgent help please! TC related!

(10 Posts)
inatotalpickle Mon 11-Jan-16 19:55:07

Regular but NC.

Long story short:
Separated from XH Dec 2014, put in single TC claim, found out I was pregnant in Jan 2015. XH moved back in Oct 2015 to try and make a go of things for the children's sake. Called TC to let them know. Get a letter saying they don't believe he'd moved out to start with. Sent in all bank stats/letters addressed to his new address etc as proof. Got a decision back that they didn't believe me because he was still on voters roll at my property. confused TC stopped end Dec 2015. I'm on maternity leave getting 139 per week + 48 per week CHB. Called and requested new claim pack. Still not arrived.

XH left again on 3rd Jan (for good!!!).

I've got a letter today saying I owe £6000!

So I now have 3 DC to look after and provide for, rent, utilities, transport, childcare (my CM asked for a retaining fee or for my DS to attend a couple of days a week while I'm on mat leave or he'd lose his place) and food/milk to pay for. Income is £750 a month, rent alone is £700! XH has said he'll pay £70 a week maintenance.

WTF can I do?!

Called the TC helpline to chase up form and ask for advice. Form is 'on its way'. I'm not entitled to any emergency help because I'm full time employed. I'm in such a mess!!!

caroldecker Mon 11-Jan-16 20:22:50

Full time on minimum wage is over £1,000 a month, AFAIK?

ShowYourSeams Mon 11-Jan-16 20:38:31

I'm on maternity leave

otterlylovely Mon 11-Jan-16 20:43:38

Oh gosh, can you appeal? Citizens Advice could help, possibly?

LIZS Mon 11-Jan-16 20:48:07

How much does x earn ? If it is more than £280 pw he enter get away with paying only £70. Do you have savings?

ShowYourSeams Mon 11-Jan-16 20:58:06

No savings at all unfortunately. I have a credit card to tide me over for essentials until the TC claim is sorted, but I'd rather bit get myself into debt if I can avoid it.

I spoke to them about appealing, but I had sent in every bit of information I had and it still want good enough for them. There is nothing else I could provide to support my claim.

I have put XHs details into the CMS calculator and it's come back with £76. He's claiming it's only saying £70. I asked him for £100. He said that's unreasonable.

I'm going to ring the council tomorrow to see if I can claim any housing benefit and also a reduction on my council tax.

ShowYourSeams Mon 11-Jan-16 21:03:51

NC fail. sad

otterlylovely Mon 11-Jan-16 21:08:48

Don't worry about that!

ShowYourSeams Mon 11-Jan-16 21:12:14

How do I go about getting out of my tenancy? I've got 10 months left on my agreement. I'll obviously need to speak to my ll, but if I could find somewhere cheaper it would make sense to move. What if she won't agree to me going? Can I move and forfeit my deposit? Can she peruse through court?

LIZS Wed 13-Jan-16 08:08:30

In theory you are liable for the duration of the tenancy and yes she could pursue you legally for the costs although she would need to show that she had tried and failed to relet to mitigate her loss. Your best bet is to ask if she would release you early if you/she find an alternative tenant. If it is a very desirable property she may agree to let you go on less notice. If it is a joint tenancy your x would also be liable. Deposit is ring-fenced so can no longer be used to offset rent. Shelter is worth a call for advice as to how to approach ll.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: