Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Gumtree people trying their luck!

(15 Posts)
Saphwoodman Sun 10-Jan-16 16:16:28

Is it just me or does everyone on gumtree try comment with a sob story in hope you reduce the items or give them to them for free! Not even sure what to respond to this message I got. Anyway I'm advertising a fish tank on there for my sister in law. She brought it a few years ago brand new with filter pump etc all complete tropical set up with several fish. If you was to buy the same tank at our local pet place would cost around £170 brand new.

She put it on there asking for £30. It was brought for her son but he doesn't want it in his room anymore so she thought she would sell it and give him the bit of money made.

I got this message: hi, I hope you are well. I am very interested in your fish tank that's for sale. Unfortunately me and my partner are ill and out of work right now so we are unable to give you anything for this tank. We can however offer it and those fish a lovely home at our flat. Can I also ask if you would be able to deliver as we don't own a car. Thank you smile

ExplodingCarrots Sun 10-Jan-16 16:25:29

They're taking the piss OP. I'd just reply 'sorry, unable to let this go for free due to the cost of the tank'

Myself and people I know have had experiences of people using a sob story to get things free/very cheap and then they put the item back up for sale next day.

Don't fall for any sob stories.

specialsubject Sun 10-Jan-16 16:40:08

just tell them that if you were born yesterday, you'd be too young to put ads up on gumtree.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Sun 10-Jan-16 16:45:08

Ignore.

BigHairySpider Sun 10-Jan-16 16:49:19

Say that this is Gumtree not Freecycle. What a liberty!

Arfarfanarf Sun 10-Jan-16 16:53:48

I wouldn't even bother replying tbh.

They know they are trying it on.

It's just not worth getting into it with such people. They'd only get aggressive anyway and you just don't need the hassle.

But if you really wanted to reply and poke them with a big stick grin then something along the lines of you must have become confused. I am selling this tank, not offering it for free. Nor would I give it away and deliver it for free. If you can't afford £30 then respectfully, you cannot afford to maintain a tank and fish anyway. Do not contact me again.

WhimsicalWinnifred Sun 10-Jan-16 17:51:14

If they had no money, they wouldn't be looking on gumtree for stuff to buy. It's bullshit.

Ask if they'll give you petrol money. I'm interested to see the answer...

shihtzumamma Sun 10-Jan-16 21:11:34

Funny how people always have to scrape the money together for the item and NEVER have transport....time wasters !!! Like I care, dont bother if you cant pick up or afford we all have hard times bore off !! That would be my message.

jevoudrais Sun 17-Jan-16 08:30:06

My friend had this on EBay. Was selling an Apple keyboard. Got a message 'oh hi my daughter has special needs and can only use these keyboards, can we have it for X (80% off price)..!

RomComPhooey Sun 17-Jan-16 08:38:10

You could let them have it for free but charge them £30 for delivery wink

cece Sun 17-Jan-16 08:51:05

Say yes that's fine and charge them £35 for delivery grin

DingbatsFur Sun 17-Jan-16 10:38:41

Gumtree is full of chancers!

Ratbagcatbag Mon 18-Jan-16 15:17:44

I had one just before Xmas. Had my dd cot bed on there. It was immaculate and cost over £200 new with storage underneath. Guy rang and offered £45. Ok £10 less that I advertised for but wanted it gone. Car pulls up outside. He then rings. He's only got £40 on him so sorry but it was a mix up between him and his wife. That's ok though, £40 yeah? - no I reply, he carries on, but I'm outside, can't do anything now. I promptly directed him to a cash machine nearby. No problem his response. I think I've got the £5 in change to make £45. Gets out of his car and hands me £45 in notes. hmm

WhimsicalWinnifred Mon 18-Jan-16 22:47:23

That really annoys me ratbag! I was selling a sub and amp that had been kept safe from my girl racer days. I can't remember how much I was asking for. I think £20 which was a bargain. He said he had either £10 or £15. I made it clear that I knew he was just doing it to be a dick but said whatever, just take it. Always annoys me. A price is agreed before hand!

Aphie Mon 18-Jan-16 22:58:20

I had that too. Turn up with less than the agreed price. No. Not happening. In my case I had a set of lego brand new cost me £60 for my niece but she already had it. Beyond the return date so put it up for sale. Pre agreed price already reduced from what I wanted and the woman tried to say she didn't have it on her. Just stood and said I'm already losing money and I need to pay bills too. I've tried to haggle in the past but you do it before turning up to collect something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now