Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Housing benefit

(6 Posts)
loveyoutothemoon Sat 09-Jan-16 21:06:47

I am currently recieving housing benefit and I am due to move to a property in which the rent is lower. Can anyone tell me please-does this mean that my benefit will be lower? Thanks.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 09-Jan-16 23:56:52

No it won't be lower unless the total rent for your new property is less than the amount of benefit you previously received.
A few years ago you could keep up to £15 a week HB if you rented a property that was less that your LHA but that was stopped with the coalition.

loveyoutothemoon Sun 10-Jan-16 21:11:29

Thank you smile

HairySubject Sun 10-Jan-16 21:16:55

I thought it would be lower be lower because they test your income and decide you can pay x amount. So if you are deemed to be able to afford 50 pounds a week, and your rent is 110 pounds a week they will give you 60 pounds a week.
If you rent then goes down to 80 pounds a week, you can still afford 50 pounds a week so now they only give you 30 pounds a week.

I could be wrong there though.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 11-Jan-16 10:59:55

No that's wrong hairy you are entitled to a fixed amount of HB it can't be more than the Lha, then your income will give you an applicable amount of HB awarded.

HairySubject Mon 11-Jan-16 13:41:06

Oh I had it backwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now